IGNORED

L24 horsepower

zeiss150

Originally posted by HKSZ

Does anyone know the Gross hp nissan plated to the 280C (single carb) or the 280ZX fi ?

Just wondering because if I was to register a 240Z with a L 28 at Vic Roads will they make me get an engineers report because of the 10% capacity increase rule.

Steve

What about the fact that the same chassis/brakes/suspension was the home to an EFI L28 from 1975 onwards on other parts of the world? Does that help your cause?

gettting narky at rego.

Hey HKSZ, why is the DMV so picky about what engine when you register the car?

I have a L28 in my 240 and the DMV could care less, they just want to know how many cylinders and what fuel it burns.

Curious,

Chris

Usual hoops you have to jump through.

Each State Gov is different, but 10% Power increase over factory standard is a "modification" and requires an engineer to pass it, same for adding a turbo, multi carbs.

Biggest problem is that it could void personal injury insurance.

Each State Gov is different, but 10% Power increase over factory standard is a "modification" and requires an engineer to pass it, same for adding a turbo, multi carbs.

I can see some reasoning behind this, don't want some speed-freak putting 800 hp into a car that could barely withstand 150 hp! Or it's just more Gov't control....:finger:

Anyway, is there some sort of power rating test that they apply to vehicles on a regular basis? How do they know that you've swapped an L28 in place of the L24? Both engines are visually identical, so if you stick with carbs on the L28, how would they find out?

Here in Texas, most places won't even look under the hood. And they never ask questions about the car. They just want to know if the lights/signals work, wipers, brakes, horn, general stuff like that.

Well in most cases they don't know any better. However when it comes to an accident and insurance company could be very picky and find out stuff like this.

My 240z in Victoria has an L28 nobody really knows either. I am taking a slight risk but if I was to tell them every modification done to the car insurance would be ridiculously high. Probably higher than a car with a turbo and more power just because it's an old sports car and I'm young.

I would just say L24 and L28 are different block castings nothing to do with capacity or to my knowledge anyway :cheeky: hint hint.

You can fit alternative compnents into your L24 block in accordance with ADR's and end up with 2.8L. Same with carburettion - the car will still comply with ADR26 with tripple Mikuni's, extractors & a modified head. Doing this to a 260Z (ADR27) though is a different matter....

When I planned on legalising my L28ET into R30 Skyline swap, it required engineering, but the conversion I'm doing now - RB30E just needs an engine change notification.

The L28ET into 240Z was an inspection matter (as I've previously discussed).

Another thing in your favour is the availability of the correct engine for your car, finding a replacement 240Z-spec L24 iss almost impossible, but an L28 is easy to find.

Matt wrote earlier:

>Well the L28 On a 79 and up 280ZX had Net RWHP of 135 because of all of

>the smoge regulations in the US. The 78 and earlyer 280Z brough 149 RWHP

>(net). Here is a link http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/gene...41/article.html

And then Carl Beck wrote

>First - I'm sorry to say that who ever wrote that article - really didn't know much about the Z Cars. Way too many factual errors there.

OK Something Ive been wondering about for years. Nissan changed to using net HP numbers in 74 .

Then the first 280Z's are rated at 149 HP, but why is the 77 Z rated at 170HP?? Does that engine really have more power? Looks like the same engine as the earlier 280, and the performance specs seem to be the same as well.....

Another question. my71 engine plate shows the power at 150 at 6000RPM. Why do some sources show the 240Z power peak at 5600 rpm??