IGNORED

DOT-4 vs DOT-3 brake fluid

TomoHawk

Originally posted by TomoHawk

I still don't know why the guy at NTB told me that DOT-4 fluid is required for the 280Z, i.e. what the difference is between the two.

There isn't much difference between standard DOT 3 and 4.

DOT 3 & 4 are mutually compatible. Anyway, don't mix unless you're going to flush the system thoroughly, which means you're going to run about 2 quarts through and then fill and bleed. Reason being is if DOT 3 & 4 are mixed, it lowers the boiling points (wet/dry) of the 4 to about the same as the 3 (i.e., no point in spending the extra $$$ then).

They probably put in DOT3 and charged for DOT4. But, you'll never know (no one would).

This is the kind of stuff everyone ought to be doing at home. For a small investment in tools and "Speed Bleeders", it can be done in under an hour (including jack-up time) and one then knows what was done and that it was done right.