Sign in to follow this  
Tim Walz

260z intake manifold

Hey all!

Been out of the hobby for a while, since my son was born. I feel like a bonehead for asking the most common knowledge question, but which casting is the 260z intake manifold? I have a few intake/carb combinations from different cars, but I forgot which is which. Thanks, and try not to be cruel!

That is the casting number and they are said to give you a little more. Though you wouldnt want to use the boat anchors that came with the 260Z unless your doing a full on resto.

Stick with the earlier carbs.

well, the only numbers I seem to have stamped on mine are e46 and e88, so i guess I don't have the 260 ones I thought I did. oh well... As for the nasty carbs, I would think it should be acceptable to use the 3 screw carbs in even the best full on restoration, since even Nissan dealers were putting them onto the cars as a solution..... but then again, I have never done a restoration, so how would I know what the "rules" are!

I've got a complete set and I am pretty sure the original US configurations went like this:

E46 '69 - ' 71 240Z with 4 screw SU style carbs

E88 '72 240Z with 3 screw SU style carbs

E33 '73 240Z with Flattop Hitachi carbs

E36 '74 260Z with Flattop Hitachi carbs

The E46 and E88 look very similar with the difference being the E88 routes water through the bottom of the carbs.

The E33 and E36 look very similar, not sure what the difference is.

Sorry to not have specifics. One day when I have a bunch of "extra time" I plan to take some pictures and document the differences.

Hope it helps! Have fun!

Hi Royce:

My 1972 240Z (mfg 11/71) came from Nissan with an E46 intake which does have provision to route pre-heat water through the carbs. I've never seen an E88 Intake or an E33 ,though I remember a balance tube assembly having a "something"33 casting number mounted on an N36 Intake.

Are you sure about that Carl??? While my E46 does have water running through the manifold it certainly doesn't have water running to the carbs. Are you sure you don't have an E88? You can certainly use the later insulators and carbs, that do have the water passages on a early manifold.

I hate to disagree with you but I have seen quite a few E46 and E88 (and E33) manifolds to support my claim.

I suppose another theory is that Nissan had some transitional pieces. It wouldn't be the first time. Anyone else out there have a E46 intake manifold that has provisions to run wather to the carbs, not just through the manifold???

Hi Royce:

I'm 99% sure that what I have on the car is an E46 and I'm 100% sure that it has carb water provision. Though I have defeated that provision with some hidden plugs in the water hoses. I don't have the car with me, so I'll check to confirm the casting number on my way home.

PS I KNOW that you have torn apart far more Z's than I have. :D

That's quite okay Carl! I respect you and was starting to doubt myself! Thanks for checking it out and following up!

As you said, I've have taken a few of these cars apart. The problem is I haven't put that many back together! ;)

Take care!

Originally posted by Royce

That's quite okay Carl! I respect you ..............

And I respect you and your knowledge about these cars as well. :) Don't really know how I forgot about the E88 Intake casting.

Sending you a PM on another subject.

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but I couldn't find what I was looking for in other threads.

I have an early '74 260Z, and a late '74 260Z. The early one came with a N36 intake, the later one was with an E46 intake manifold. Both have the Hitachi SU carbs on them, so I assume the early 260Z had the carbs switched.

Which intake flows better?

Put a segment of either the 46 or 88 side by side with either of the 30 series manifolds and see if you don't think the later 30 series might not flow better. Bigger, wider, more open inside....... Pretty intuitive.....

Mitchka,

I don't think you can do much better than validation from Bruce at Ztherapy! I'm sure he has seen many of the manifolds and had the chance to inspect them from different angles. Thanks for the good info Bruce. :)

The only thing I would like to add is just that neither of your 260Z's would have come into the US new with round top SU style carbs nor an E series intake manifold (E46 or E88). I would assume that on your early 260 car someone just swapped the carbs and on your later car someone swapped both the carbs and the intake manifold.

One advantage to the earlier style E46 intake manifold is a cleaner look. The earlier intake manifold and balance bar had less smog ports. So some people install the earlier 240z intake manifold and remove the later 260z smog gear. Now that I think of it I also believe the balance bars themselves may be swapped, been to long to remember this one for sure. So your early car with the N36 manifold may even have a early balance bar and a lot of the smog removed by now too. I am not saying removing the smog equipement is a good thing or a bad thing either way. I still have the stock smog pump and gear on my Rebello motor. I was told the air pump helps to cool the valves. Don't know how true that is. But I'll leave that choice up to the individual.

Boy, looking back throught this thread brings back memories. I cannot believe this thread has been around for so long an nobody corrected the fact that I listed E33 and E36 manifolds instead of N33 and N36.

Have fun!

.....I cannot believe this thread has been around for so long an nobody corrected the fact that I listed E33 and E36 manifolds instead of N33 and N36.
Until Mitchka revived this thread, the only people posting in it were yourself and three members who, though for different reasons, don't post here anymore.

I have a few E and N series manifolds, and side by side you can see the interior differences. Like Bruce said, more open, and a more direct shot into the head. My N-36 came from a '73 240Z with the square top carbs. I had the extra vacuum ports filled on the intakes and drilled the water passages into the carb mounting faces as well. They're mounted up to my 3 screw '72 carbs.

Check out post 12 here http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=135702

Blue, you are one heck of an amazing Zee-guy!

What had thrown me off before is what Bruce clarified right after me. I always thought that with the intakes, the numbers would increase with later models ie: 36 would be early, 88 would be later. Well, now I know for sure which intake to put on my complete car.

Another thing that bothers me, but is probably not really necessary info, is what odes the E or N relate to on the intake? Was it just a way of matching heads to intakes?

And does anyone know what carbs came on the 260s, and what year the Hitachi domes were used on?