IGNORED

260z intake manifold

Tim Walz

Hey all!

Been out of the hobby for a while, since my son was born. I feel like a bonehead for asking the most common knowledge question, but which casting is the 260z intake manifold? I have a few intake/carb combinations from different cars, but I forgot which is which. Thanks, and try not to be cruel!

well, the only numbers I seem to have stamped on mine are e46 and e88, so i guess I don't have the 260 ones I thought I did. oh well... As for the nasty carbs, I would think it should be acceptable to use the 3 screw carbs in even the best full on restoration, since even Nissan dealers were putting them onto the cars as a solution..... but then again, I have never done a restoration, so how would I know what the "rules" are!

I've got a complete set and I am pretty sure the original US configurations went like this:

E46 '69 - ' 71 240Z with 4 screw SU style carbs

E88 '72 240Z with 3 screw SU style carbs

E33 '73 240Z with Flattop Hitachi carbs

E36 '74 260Z with Flattop Hitachi carbs

The E46 and E88 look very similar with the difference being the E88 routes water through the bottom of the carbs.

The E33 and E36 look very similar, not sure what the difference is.

Sorry to not have specifics. One day when I have a bunch of "extra time" I plan to take some pictures and document the differences.

Hope it helps! Have fun!

Are you sure about that Carl??? While my E46 does have water running through the manifold it certainly doesn't have water running to the carbs. Are you sure you don't have an E88? You can certainly use the later insulators and carbs, that do have the water passages on a early manifold.

I hate to disagree with you but I have seen quite a few E46 and E88 (and E33) manifolds to support my claim.

I suppose another theory is that Nissan had some transitional pieces. It wouldn't be the first time. Anyone else out there have a E46 intake manifold that has provisions to run wather to the carbs, not just through the manifold???

Hi Royce:

I'm 99% sure that what I have on the car is an E46 and I'm 100% sure that it has carb water provision. Though I have defeated that provision with some hidden plugs in the water hoses. I don't have the car with me, so I'll check to confirm the casting number on my way home.

PS I KNOW that you have torn apart far more Z's than I have. :D

That's quite okay Carl! I respect you and was starting to doubt myself! Thanks for checking it out and following up!

As you said, I've have taken a few of these cars apart. The problem is I haven't put that many back together! ;)

Take care!