IGNORED

It's not a Z but......

2ManyZs

That sure is a VERY nice looking car, and I *think* that I'd love to own one like it. With one notable concern.........Having both the battery AND the fuel tank in the trunk, in such close proximity to each other would scare the Sh*t out of me. I'd have to put that battery in an enclosure before I'd take it out of the driveway!

My $.02

I didn't even look at the trunk pic.... I was too impressed with the engine bay and interior....

Ya gotta wonder why the tank is there in the first place....:ermm:

Cuz, a fuel cell could be mounted underneath with no trouble.

And I'd definately use a sealed battery box or an Optima battery instead of what's there.

Originally posted by 2ManyZs

Cuz, a fuel cell could be mounted underneath with no trouble.

And I'd definately use a sealed battery box or an Optima battery instead of what's there.

Yup! As sanitary as the rest of the car appears, that sure stood out for me as a glaring mistake in judgement by whomever designed and "executed" (dare I say) the modifications.

The location of the fuel tank is the factory location. In the early 70s they start placing fuel tanks in locations that were less likely to be damaged in a collision. My brother had a 71 Celica and its tank was in the same place. I remember it well because is sucked up 1/3 of the space in a small trunk. It always bothered me with it being behind the seat, just like in the old Chevy pickups it just seams wrong!

Placing the battery in the trunk of a 510 is very common and my son did it to his but he enclosed it in a marine battery box which made for a cleaner and “safer” install.