IGNORED

Fuel tank overflow problem

Murph

I have a little problem where my fuel tank will fill to the point that fuel will run out the over flow (middle of car behind the bumper) before the bowser will click off. It's a pain because it means I can't fully fill my tank with out leaving a big puddle of fuel under my car.....not very safe! Oh and leaves me lookin pretty silly! ;)

Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions on what's wrong or how to fix it?

Originally posted by Datto-Zed

I have a little problem where my fuel tank will fill to the point that fuel will run out the over flow (middle of car behind the bumper) before the bowser will click off. ............... Any suggestions on what's wrong or how to fix it?

I am only familiar with US spec S30's, but our cars do not have an "overflow". I would think that for ANY car to have a "overflow" vent to atmosphere for a gasoline tank would be a serious safety hazard.

I agree with 26th-z, it sure sounds like a fuel vent hose that is broken. (which is not intended to vent to atmosphere, it vents to the Evap tank) If your car is leaking when being filled, I'd suspect that it dumps gas on the ground everytime you take off from a stop, also. You might save some gas money by getting this fixed.

Originally posted by Brett240

Carl,

Right hand drive 240's vent straight onto the ground. its interesting to see one go through a left hand corner with a full tank and spew fuel out all over the ground....

In my neighborhood, a car with a fuel vent to atmosphere would end up as a bonfire in short order. Not doubting what you are saying, but it seems a :stupid: design IMHO.

Though I don't like the vent system we have, I'm glad that Nissan got their S**T together somewhat. Too many hooligans and Foolio's around here would siphon your tank dry if they didn't want to watch your car go up in flames.

oh and datto-zed,

is it definitley coming out the overflow? the start of the overflow hose is right at the top of the filler neck, the bowser should click off before it gets that high. if its clicking off you have a leak in either the filler neck, top of the tank or out of your tank return line.

yeah it is a bit strange i know, i lot of guys fit the catch tank off the 260z, or run the hose up into the cabin so it doesnt leak on the ground ( a side benifit being that refreshing fuel smell). amazingly mines been like that since 1972 and never caught fire.

Mine is a 260Z.....so it does....well should have the evaporation tank! I'd assume one of the lines between the fuel tank and the evaporation tank has either broken or fallen off.

I STILL don't have the car back, so looks like it will be the weekend before I can have a look at it.

Just got the car back! Finally! It's been almost 8 months off the road.

Anyway...

I've just a quick look under the back and it appears the only way I'm going to be able to even check where it's leaking from, will be to drop the tank.

Someone please tell me there's another nice quick and easy solution! :D