IGNORED

Rally shocks

HKSZ

Have'nt heard of them. Proflex seems to be the shock of choice for rallying but they are awfully expensive. Koni Sports are good value if you are on a tight budget and would be acceptable providing the going is not too hard and rough.

Can't recommend Koni's. Got them set up in my car and it's a total disarster. Each visit to the forest has cost me a re-build!

They can be set up but I don't have the money to spend [blow] until someone gets it right.

It's been suggested that 260z Struts are far superior to the standard 240 strut. I intend to try this setup next.

Regretting doing the changeover in the first place as I'm over 2k out of pocket on this so called upgrade.

If anyone has any further advice on how to set Koni's up for Dirt rallying, I'm all ears.

HIH

The 260 struts have a heavier section tube which is the only difference I'm aware of. But I don't know everything.:)

My Koni Sports equipped 260 is used for track work just to make it clear that I have no first hand experience in rallying. But one thing I have learnt is that shock valving is everything in any high performance application. With the Sports, as you would know, they can be revalved. Cost me around $250 per pair.

Alan Stean of the Z Car Workshop here in Brisbane, phone 3808 2755, has a lot of rallying experience and could no doubt provide you with a good setup. I would go that way rather than trying to experiment myself.

If anyone is intending to do some serious ( ie - Gravel or Forest stage ) rallying with an early Z car, they would be well advised to give ANY oil-filled damper a wide berth.

The pummelling they receive on this kind of surface overheats the oil in no time at all, and the resultant loss of performance is usually enough to cause enough damage to the internals to mean its rebuild time...........

I've heard of Koni, and other brands of oil-filled dampers, being totally useless even before the end of ONE rough British forest stage - let alone a whole event.

The Factory rally cars used gas, and I would recommend that as the way to go.

Oil-filled dampers are fine for most tarmac stages, and of course are OK on the circuits too, but proper ROUGH stage rallies cause them to fail very quickly.

Alan T.

I know someone who was selling the following is anyone is interested:

Proflex Struts. Roving Bush, Double bump adj, rebound adj.

The asking price is $6000AUD, located in NSW.

He's also selling lots of other ex-rally compontentry (parting out his 260Z coupe rally car), contact me to find out more.

Any suggestions as to which inserts would be better suited to mild dirt work.

Forget about spending 6k, I could have brought a complete setup for 12K, logbooked complete with an impressive rally history if I wanted to spend that amount of money.

MOM & Bar

No wonder no one had heard of them, the guy told me Konami when in fact its Kayaba Ultra Series, got a set of matching springs too so it will be interesting to put them on dirt. From my searching the net they are a high performance shock and another bit of trivia Kayaba is the full title of KYB shocks.

Steve

Kayaba Motorsports shocks aren't cheap either. Expect to pay around $800 each for the base model. The good thing about them, is that they're made to order & the minimum run quantity is 1 (asopposed to OEM-replacement Kayaba's which are around $150 & minimum factory run is about 20).