IGNORED

newbie wanting general info?

Crusader_9x

hey all i just recently have token up an interest in these cars, partly due to a local guy with a 70 or 71 putitng about 350 to the ground with t04 hanging off of the side. anyway i was wondering if yahl could shoot me some links to info for these cars? like he had electronic fel injection and all but i thought something of those years would have a carb? also what are all the differences in the 2.4 2.6 and 2.8 motors? is one beter than the others for big hp numbers? any motor swap info would be greatly appreciated. also what kinda suspension do these cars come wiht? like independent rear or a straight axle? just some educationg would be nice. thanx for any info in advance

Welcome aboard . As for the engines none are big HP engines really . They have potential thou. The '70 through '73 were all 240s and Had t he L-24 2400 CC engine the first 3 yrs. had what is known as round top SU Carbs. and were the best for performance. '73 was the major beginnings of the emissions standards and they came with crapy carbs.. '74 also but they wanted to get back some HP so it wint to 2600 cc and is the 260Z . From there on was the 280Z L-28 block and multiport injection. All the cars have independent suspension , disk brakes front and drum on the rear , cant remember when the rear disks came in. In 79 --'83 is the latest in the engine develoupment and still a 2800cc and is a 54 block . These cars are light and t he first three are the lghtest. All of the inline engines are interchangable. The early cars had 4 speed trannys and the 280 went to 5 speed the later of the 280s have different gearing . There are automatic t rans also starting at '71. Hope this helps. :classic:

thanx that does help alot. well so say i wante to put an standalone engine managemnet system on one witha turbo hanging off of the side what would be my best bet engine wise? get the small 2.4 built? or get one of the larger ones? since u said the frist 3 years were the lightest i would more than likley wanna put it in one of those. how much do they wiegh anyway? how much power can the differenyt trannys and rear ends hold up to?thanx for the info

Lightest cars made were the first 12000 out of the factory. Hard to find one but they do come up from time to time if you look hard. They also were the best at rusting (I know, I have one). I think weight was around 2000lbs. US laws just kept adding weight and thus slowed them down...until the turbos thurned up, however they did get kinda ugly there for a while to. Can't beat the classic lines of the 240Z's.

If all out speed is you thing then either put in V8 or a Nissan GTR- RB26DETT engine. The RB26DETT is a 2.6litre twin turbo injected straight 6. Might be a little hard to find one in the states though. There are a few members here who have converter the L series to the RB. Just type in RB into the search function.

Hi,

As for engines take a look at http://www.hybridz.org, they discuss all manner of engine swaps (L24's -> L28ET's, Rotarys [spit spit], Ford - Chevy - Mopar V8's, RB 20's -> 30's, toyota 6's, 4's [spit spit], even a few odd ball ones like Jag V12's, Dodge V10's, BMW 6's)

If you are going to put a high hp in the rear ends are usually the weak link (the u-joints in the 1/2 shafts are notorious for breaking under high stress) but there are some alternatives such as later 280's with the beefier 1/2 shafts and R200's also a CV swap option