IGNORED

Finally going back together!

Zvoiture

Oh... and check out my new studs. Yes, they are 1/2" (X 20 X 3")! Please don't tell Alan. He'll write me out of his will for sure...Shoot, they were 1/1,000,000th the price of Comp 60mm ones. Heck, 2many, they came from some neckcar place in Virginny (stockcarproducts.com They were wonderful).

steve77

post-2047-1415079299753_thumb.jpg

I hope this is going to be an auto-X car and not do any road racing....or much street driving either...looks like it would be a kidney buster on the street....

Not trying to rain on your parade Steve, but a buddy of mine road raced his car with springs nearly as short and ended up riding around on the bumpstops most of the time..... only had about 2 inches of total suspsension travel....

I was always surprised that his springs never jumped off the perches.. of course, if he'd had an "off track excursion" it might have been different... :ermm:

I think I am going to be OK. I actually think I will end up with more travel than the green 280. It has about 1.5 inches of travel in the front but never bottoms out--that I can tell.

On this new car, I have new strut assemblies that match the springs. They are BRE. the tubes are stock length, bit the perches are higher. Also the springs are 200 and 225. I haven't had this thing down with an engin in, of course, but with halved bump stops and a 2100 lb car, I think I will be ok.

I have everything sitting here for a disk conversion (except the brackets) but I have this pile of solid discs and aluminum drums and I just want to burn them up. See, I am a crappy racer, I don't use the brakes enough. But I'm learning.

steve77(and soon 73)

Originally posted by Zvoiture

Oh... and check out my new studs. Yes, they are 1/2" (X 20 X 3")! Please don't tell Alan. He'll write me out of his will for sure...

steve77

IMPERIAL sized studs? What on earth were you thinking of!? You are now officially OFF my Christmas card list.........

Seriously though, I can see that they make a lot of sense. You get a whole new world of wheel nuts to choose from in that size too.

Don't they do a 6 inch version? You could be like Queen Boudicca of the Iceni - rolling through the Roman army with sword blades on the wheels of her chariot. You could cut the tops off the cones on the Auto-X course. She did suffer from terrible unsprung weight problems though, and had trouble finding performance tyres for her 36-Inch twelve spokes.....................

Like 2Many I'm a little concerned about your springs jumping off the perches on full extension. I've had this happen to me and it ain't funny. Mashes up spring perches and sounds really nasty too. I've seen suspension legs wired-up to limit extension as a cure for it. Some of the later Works Z rally cars used a system like this. Hopefully you won't experience a problem but with such a short spring combined with a damper that will extend a LONG way from

where the spring is seated, you might have it happen to you.

What dampers / shock absorbers did this BRE setup originally use then?

Alan T.

I've seen some guys use small diameter twisted wire cable to make droop keepers (looped them around and used crimps) for their springs so they stay on the perch.

Dale Smith's E-Prod car uses them to keep the springs at the top so the caps on top that have bearings and the like for his camber adjustment don't come apart. He doesn't have to worry about the bottom because the perch is simply a flat plate without the stock style cup.

>>>>What dampers / shock absorbers did this BRE setup originally use then<<<

Hmmm good question. I will try and find out.

So you all are saying ideally the springs should be used with a very short cartridge. Since the tubes are stock length, that would mean a very short cartridge with an extension. Or do some of the more $$$ struts have adjustable extension stop?

steve77