IGNORED

Hand Throttle on Automatics?

mdbrandy

Originally posted by beandip

Escanlon has one on his '71 automatic , but I think he added it. What I heard was that they were eliminated because people were using them for a cruse-controll .

Interesting. If you can get the parts, it'd be easy to add. What I'm looking for, of course, are the parts to restore mine! All I really need is the handle and the cable. The rest is still there (although if I could find it, I'd take the whole assembly too!). I'll have to ask Enrique where he got the parts if he did...

Thanks.

I got my hand throttle / choke cable assembly through the Datsun Dude.

I found out later that MSA has the whole assembly, choke AND throttle for the EARLY 240. I don't know if it comes with the knobs for them. The throttle cable is special not only in the end lead but also in the slip washer that fits onto the top of the accelerator pedal, as that is how it works, it pulls on the top of the pedal linkage. Since the automatic accelerator pedal has a flat tab welded midway up the upper part of the metal rod (for the kickdown switch), and every one of the auto pedals I found had that tab, I also discovered that NONE of them had the clip at the top for the throttle clip. I ended up fashioning a metal tab for the kick down switch on a manual accelerator pedal.

As far as I know, the throttle cable was discontinued in the U.S. market sometime in either late 70 or early 71. The automatic cars didn't start arriving in the U.S. until mid to late 71, hence, there wouldn't be ANY automatics with the hand throttle.

I added it to my car because I didn't want to replace my console and I did not want a hole in my console where the hand throttle lever goes. So, I do have a non-stock customization.

Hope this helps.

Enrique

Thanks for the info. I tried MSA - they still list it in their catalog and on their web site, but its NLA. Oh well. I'll try all the used sources I can think of and see what happens :classic: . All I really need is the cable and knob! I was asking about automatics because there seems to be a part listed that looks like it could be right, but was listed as for automatics. Any overseas Z guys have a hand throttle on their automatics?

Thanks again.

Originally posted by sjcurtis

mdbrandy,

just in answer to the original question, I have a factory fitted hand throttle on my 12/71 auto HS30-001638. deliverd in Australia.

Cheers

Steve :classic:

Great. Then at least we know that there is a part that was used in automatics that might work in a manual. Does it look like the attached pic that I found on the web?

post-4028-14150792946378_thumb.jpg

mdbrandy,

That is the correct item, I just thought through the fingure control I use on start= both LEVERS up, turn the key, engine fires both LEVERS half down, engine stabilizes right LEVER all the way down set left lever for RPM warm up. So to that for my Z the levers are correctly positioned, maybe it would reverse with the driving position change for HLS body?

cheers

Originally posted by sjcurtis

maybe it would reverse with the driving position change for HLS body?

Nope. In my car, which has the choke and throttle (I'm just missing the knob and throttle cable), the choke is on the left and the throttle on the right. Just like the picture.

Thanks!

• 3 months later...

I also once had a hand throttle on my 1970 automatic (converted to a 5 speed manual), but the cable and lever were removed and some point, mainly because this mechanism (I recently been told), became illegal in the USA. I would like to reinstate this in the UK (illegal ?) to make the car original but not too sure where I could get the replacement parts from ?

DJACEY(UK),

I hope you still have some of the parts still fitted. You know the original accelerator arm from the pedal to the firewall and the brackets at the top. maybe even the lever frame (base). For your installation maybe someone from the states can help as it is HLS build configuration and thier maybe some subtle diffrences. I dont have any spares for this particular system as I have not seen any out of a car that I could buy. Good luck sourcing the parts.

To another intrigue, what five speed did you fit does it have a bolted flange to bolt the tail shaft too, or does the tail shaft slip in and out of the gearbox on a splined yoke.

cheers