IGNORED

Turbo to none Turbo??

Sammy1970

Thanks, Guys

For all the reply;s made up my mind to keep the

turbo in My Zed. Lucky enough to score a good job so I will be

looking around to get the best set-up I can get my Hands on.

Ben do you Know anyone in our neck of the woods whos selling

a complete turbo Kit or motor setup? There's an L200ET going for

$1495 but I think thats a bit steep. What do you think?

I have heard that the1985 Skyline came out with a L28ET have not seen one yet thats why I asking??? Going to try the Nissan

patrol wreakers to see if I have any luck.

The Zed is in the garage at the moment, petrol tank is off

with the L26 in her when I get her up and running I'll take

a drive down south. She;s had a lot of cash poured into her

Turbo dash, Recaro Leather seats, Mags 265's on the back.

custom wheel arches and a good paint job. Head Turner!!

Thanks again for all the information so far been a big help!!

My numbers 08 82484551 if you know of anyone selling a

Kit our just gives a call.

Thanks Guys

:D :D :D :D :D :cross-eye

Hi ,Ben

Had a look at the L20ET today and I am wondering

what do I need to look out for when buying A Turbo? Its

done 35000 Kms its been stated. How would I know if the

turbos any good. The guys going to take $300 off if I take

her without a warranty. Any advice would be great as I am

looking to buy. What sort of deal is $1195 it has an auto

gearbox??

Three injectors are missing Blow off valve and starter motor.

Got a copy of pictures of it not to good though.

Got my Gallery approved so you can check it out.

All the Best ! Sammy1970

post-4580-14150792910968_thumb.jpg

For what it's worth, I don't think $1195 is a good price.

Based on what you've stated I think the L20 is not a great engine for turbo charging. It was never designed for it unlike the L28's.

It's smaller capacity and I hope the parts on there are turbo parts.

What I mean is the manifold is the ZX turbo manifold, the distributor airflow meter are ZX turbo ones.

Are you buying it just for parts? If you are try offer a bit less.

The best way to check a turbo is to check for play in the shaft.

It will be hard to determine internal damage but one good way to see if the engine was running right would be to remove the turbo and see if the carbon is dark black to pale brown.'

If it's pale brown the engines been running too lean(not good). if it's a darkish brown could be alright.

Ben what's your thoughts?

Sorry guys, been away from the PC!

That looks like the L20AET located at City Dismantlers to me.

The L20AET was first released inthe C210 Skyline GT-ES turbo in the late 1970's. It was the first mass-produced Japanese turbocharged engine. It was also available in the HR30 Skyline GT-ES Turbos, alongside the FJ20ET models.

It's only about 100kW though, and wouldn't fare to well against a fresh L26. The only things that it's really good for are the exhaust manifold, the distributor & the rocker-cover. I'd get a new turbo, and fit it to an appropriately decompressed L28E. The end result will be much more satisfying.

The other thing to consider is that if it is the engine I think it is, it's been there since City Dismantlers opened many years ago!

$1000 bucks is pretty expensive for those parts, and I'm not sure if a late model turbo will bolt-on to the factory manifold.

Thanks , Gavan

From what you are saying I won't be buying

the L20ET I was looking at it for the parts getting a (Good)

spare motor would have justified the price. Think I need to

learn more before I part with any money don;t you LOL

Hi ,Ben

search continues had a look for nissan patrol the guys

there say the L28ET only came out in a D. N54 seems to be the

one I want with a p90 head.

would'nt mind having a look at your setup need to do a lot

more homework. Got a garage full of Z parts might be able to help you out in return. :D

No problem I have been looking to do a turbo set up with my L28 I have already aquired a P90 head and F54 block :).

There's alot of Nissan parts out there but finding the correct ones for the job is the tricky bit.

Ben is right I had forgotten that the L20A(Meaning L20 6 Cylinder). Had come in the C210 Skylines, what engine head did they have Ben?

From what I know the ZX turbo had a different intake manifold and distributor to the stock L28E.

At the moment though I don't have the funds to do the turbo set up I would like. Even a basic set up is gonna be too expensive at this stage.

I'm looking at building a NA motor with the P90 head that should get good results and be a bit more reliable.

There's alot for me to still learn and I've been into these cars a few years, I find Ben is very good with turbo information he's building a beast of an engine.

Is it done Ben? :)

Just ask us and we'll gladly help you out.

I have no idea what head casting the L20AET had, but if it's anything like the L20AE, then the valves & ports are like pea-shooters....

As for my TT project, well it's still underway (slowly) I've got my P90 head back now from being ported cc'd & flowed.

It's not a cheap project, the exhaust manifold was $1500, the wastegate $800 & the head-work $1000. I have yet to buy pistons & prep the block & rods.

The intake manifold is also ported/flowed & I still plan on using my AiResearch intercooler (which should be good for about 400HP of flow).

The trimming which is currently underway will cost me the best part of $2k and I want to get the car 'finished' minus the big engine before the end of the year.

It will probably take me all of next year to finish the engine (and there's at least $10k of investment left in that part).

Hi, Gaven ,Ben

The turbo motor was the one at City Dismanters

motors are not the only thing they dismantle ehh!

Came accross a turbo kit for a 4.5Lt petrol patrol. AVO is the

company that sells them in Victoria so they do make turbo

petrol engines just not at City Distmantlers? :ermm: :ermm:

I'll post a picture so you can tell me your thoughts on the

4.5 petrol turbo kit. Wondering if I could use the exhaust

manifold if they sell it separate?

Sounds like your going all the way on your

setup Ben like to see that when your done!! Just a few more

dumb Questions on turbo setups. Should I fit a 280 fuel tank.

What Diff would you recommend? Going to go through my

car and see exaltly whats there on the drive train ect. Its all

new so I am hoping I am setup there!!

Is there anyone in Adelaide that you would

say is the best for Zed car Turbos. Have spoken to Barry at

(Datsport) at Lonsdale. Hes my first choice at the moment.

Spoken to him a copy of times and hes done more than a few.

Prefer to go with garages that do Zeds!

Whats the difference from a turbo intake manifold and a

normal fuel injected one just currious to see which I have??

Thanks again for all your help and advice:D :D

post-4580-14150792914658_thumb.jpg

The turbo manifold from the Patrol won't fit the L series engine. It may fit the RB motors, but why bother?

You should fit a larger fuel feed into your existing tank & use the original feed as the EFI return. You will also need a lift-pump, a surge tank & a high-pressure pump.

The R180 diff will be just fine, an LSD R200 is the top-model upgrade. Your 260Z may already have an R200 (in which case, you are set). The only thing I recommend is the replacement of all universal joints & a re-balance of the tailshaft.

The OEM turbo manifold has larger runners, but the NA manifold will flow plenty.

Baz has been in the game for a long time & knows plenty about datto's.

The P90 is not essential but prefered a N42 is almost the same in many ways and I think Ben was saying the first 280zx's had the n42 on it.

The P79 also had the same design but I think something on the exhaust ports to stop emissions forgot there name but apparently they hurt flow but then again there's no real proof of that.

The E88 can be used for turboing I think a guy in the states did alot of custom work as it's what he does for a living and pushes 500hp out of his L28 E88 combo.

Keep in mind the P90 will be set up for the EFI manifold already.

A guy here in Melbourne is using an N42 and the head has been custom drilled for extra cooling and less chance of blowing a head gasket.

:)