Steering Wheel Noise - Help Me !! - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Steering Wheel Noise

Featured Replies

The steering wheel in my 1971 Z has developed an annoying, irritating rubbing/squeeling sound when I turn the wheel at low speeds. Any idea what this is and how to fix it? I recently installed a new turn signal switch. Is it possible this is the cause of the problem?

First thing I would check is the small pins that are on the backside of the wheel to cancel the turn signals. Make sure they aren't out to far and rubbing on the end of the column.

Check the column cover to steering wheel clearance.

- Jeff

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • Author

How does one go about lubricating the steering column? What kind of lubricant is recommended?

  • 10 years later...
How does one go about lubricating the steering column? What kind of lubricant is recommended?

I'm having this sqeeaking issue as well. I tried removing yhe wheel and squirting some kroil in the obvious areas. The squeak went away for a few turns of the wheel, but came back just as annoying as before. Any recommendations for type of lube?

Thanks!

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.