IGNORED

cooling system

carguyinok

Ok, I am now going with my stock block\head combo( Now that I know it is the matching # for my ZROFL ). I have no plans what so ever of putting my Z on the road in anything other then nice weather :stupid: So there gose my need for the heater. I am also putting the SU's off to the side for fuel injection.

This may sound :stupid: but I feel with the Z less can be more (as far as headaches go) so why not block off the unused water passages? like the lines for the heater core and the coolant lines for the intake. :ermm:

I guess where I am going with this is. Has anyone else here done this ? If so what type of plug was used for the heater line hole at the back of the head? How deep can you go with say a bolt before you start blocking the water passage?

I am looking for a VERY VERY clean motor bay. I dont want or need half lines with hoseclamps and plugs. Just looking to lose anything not needed.

Lots of nice fall days are great for a z cruise.A trip to the mountains or the evening or morning will make you wish you had that heater.Your wife/girlfriend will want it also.It cost nothing to run,not like A.C..I see no benefit in removing it.

Lots of nice fall days are great for a z cruise.A trip to the mountains or the evening or morning will make you wish you had that heater.Your wife/girlfriend will want it also.It cost nothing to run,not like A.C..I see no benefit in removing it.

All true points I understand. The main reason I want them gone is I dont want to deal with the heatercore. If you saw what the inlet and output lines look like you would understand. :sleepy: and almost $150 for a new heatercore :stupid:

I also have had the lines off with the motor in the car. It looked so much better :cheeky: Real clean and clutter free.

Oh yah, and the less hoses there are to spring a leak the better I feel. :classic:

M 2 cents follow

Heaters are worth the hassle. Heaters are worth the clutter. I think even race cars should keep the heater/demister. It's less of a car without one. Even here in sunny California, You leave to get to the car show early in the morning. That heater may not be needed later in the afternoon, but now it makes driving comfortable.

Have you seen my engine compartment? I hate clutter/Love simplicity. I make sure the heater fits into that plan.

To answer your question, carguyinok, I know a few people here in South Texas that have removed the heater cores because, 1) it leaks, and 2) it's not needed here where we live. Even on the coldest of mornings that you would drive your car.

Anyway, the best thing I would use to plug the hole on the back of the head, would be to find a flush mounted pipe plug. Head to a plumbing shop with the little fitting (removed, of course) in your hand so they can match the threads. The flush plugs will be very unobtrusive and not seen very easily.

Another option would be to remove one of the flush pipe plugs out of a spare head. If you look under the cam, on top of the head, you'll see a row of pipe plugs screwed into the head. If I remember correctly, these should about the right size. Check it out if you have a spare head laying around. Or grab one out of a car at the local pick-n-pull.

Aside from the discussion of whether or not you should disconnect the heater, the quick repair to a leaking heater is to loop the hose back in the engine bay. You don't want the hoses, so you are left to your imagination to decide how to block it all off. The head plug needs no more than 1/4" - maybe 3/8". A brass plug can be turned if you like, or you can buy one. Cover it with teflon tape and screw it. The Y hose fitting can be threaded and capped or you could cut the pipe off and weld a plate over the hole. I don't recommend taking the plumbing out around the intake manifold. That area is perfect for fitting stainless braided hose and fittings, but it involves a lot of welding and fabrication. With the heater simply disconnected, the system volume will be lower and you may experience higher running temperatures. The comment about eliminating the windshiel demister is valid and will force you keep the inside of your glass very clean.

Thank you all for the replys. I will be getting the brass plug.

I can understand with the higher motor temps. Been there done that :stupid: and wont do it again. Even before I had thought of removing the heater lines. My plan has a oil cooler with remote oil filter. I used one on my 73 corvette and my motor temp NEVER went in the danger zone and that was in Vegas. With the weather and traffic thats saying something :D From that point on I was sold.