IGNORED

Choke lever hassle

ajl

Tried to start up my 240Z, gave it plenty of choke as usual - and the choke lever seemed to go loose, and something seeemd to break. Took off the centre console - can't find whether the choke lever/cable just sits loose normally under the console or attaches to something on the body. My Haynes manual doesn't have a diagram - anyone out there have a diagram showing what I should see? Thanks ...

The choke lever assembly mounts to the underside of the console (NOT THE BODY). It is common for the plastic mounting bosses on the console to snap off if too much pressure is applied, especially after 30 years of use and time which does weaken the plastic. There isn't a good way to repair this damage that I know of, and I don't believe that the consoles are available from the factory anymore. Even when they were available it was an almost $200 "fix" to replace the console. Look at the lever assembly carefully and you'll probably see the mounting bosses still attached to the assembly, when they should be attached to the console itself.

Years ago I fabricated a cheap aluminum bracket to mount the choke handle assembly to the transmission tunnel, not to the plastic center console. Now I don't have to worry about cracking the console since there's no longer any pressure on it.

Originally posted by MikeW

Years ago I fabricated a cheap aluminum bracket to mount the choke handle assembly to the transmission tunnel, not to the plastic center console. Now I don't have to worry about cracking the console since there's no longer any pressure on it.

If it works good, you could probably sell a few on eBay for a decent profit. :geek:

I fixed it by forming a pad of JB Weld about 1/4 inch thick where the bolts hold the choke assembly(the plastic was totally disintegrated where the bolts had screwed in), then redrilled the holes and fitted bolts and nuts. Used aluminum foil as a form to hold in the epoxy. Seems to be holding well, and I really abuse it because my cables are so long(triple Weber carbs require adding an extra cable and routing it around the radiator to the front of the carbs) that they bind and I'm working three chokes. Victor.

Thanks guys, I had another look and the plastic mounting boss on the console HAD partially snapped off where it attaches to the choke lever assembly. Look like the options are either a new console or "manufacturing" the fixes you've suggested ...

thanks again