IGNORED

What does this lever do?

240znz

Originally posted by EScanlon

As far as how it connects, this is tricky as it is important to remember that the throttle is connected directly to the accelerator pedal. It connects to the TOP of the linkage so that when you PULL on the lever it also pulls on the lever that your foot PUSHES on. The mechanism is such that if you should push on the pedal you will not bind nor have the cable disconnect.

The cable has the regular sheathing and end ball of lead. The cable goes through a nylon cable holder that clips onto the top of the acc. pedal. The cable holder keeps the cable attached to the pedal while you use the pedal normally. Then when you pull on the lever for the throttle the lead ball is too big to go through the hole in the holder, hence you pull on the lever. Just like if you were holding your foot on the pedal.

Oh! So it attaches in the drivers compartment directly to the accelerator pedal? I saw nothing like this when I took the car apart, so the PO must have removed it all :disappoin . No nylon cable holder or anything. So far, there are no Z's in any junk yards around here, so I'll have to find something remote if I am able to rehabilitate it. MSA lists the choke cable with hand throttle as [A] (no longer available). Thanks for the info. If you have any pictures around, I'd appreciate it.

Although several folks refer to it as a "Crude Early 240Z Cruise Control", I've heard that it actually was supposed to be used in warming the engine up in cold climates.

That's what I used mine for, revving at 1500 warmed up a fair bit quicker than at around 500!

You may be able to adapt a hand throttle cable from the 70's Nissan Patrol 4WD who had them as well.

There main purpose was to set idle when using accessories such as winches, etc.

Use them with caution. They have to be pushed back in to turn them off, none of this you beaut touch the brakes to disengage.

:ermm:

Biker

Check your own gas pedal first. In my experience, most of the early (read to 73) Z's ALL had the same gas pedal with the EXCEPTION of the Automatic ones.

If you look at the picture on e-Bay, look in the upper right, and you'll notice like a hole with a slot in a piece of metal. That's where the cable hooks up. The larger nylon washer I mentioned clips onto the metal and the cable runs freely inside the washer.

FWIW

Enrique

Check your own gas pedal first.

Well, I had looked at mine, but I didn't recognize what I was seeing. I hadn't realized that the connection was at the very top. And there it was. So, if the e-bay pedal goes very cheap, I may end up with a second pedal (I bid very low since I didn't care too much). Maybe I can make a Z-sculpture out of spare parts....

Thanks for the info!

early motoring reports that i have read suggested that the hand throttle was there for rallying cant say i can see any great advantage in the idea but thats what i read

my car is a july 70 and it either has had a later console fitted or it did not come with the hand throttle

Mick

Only very early US delivery cars even have the pinch bracket necessary to hold the cable in place above the accelerator pedal but most later 240Z accelerator pedals have the 'slot' for the swaged end of the inner cable. You need to fab a bracket or find an early donor car with it.

I worked for a guy who used to check every early car with a flashlight and remove this redundant bracket, (pop the spot weld), then include it in a 'kit' for later 240 owners with the combo cables.

My '70 has this combo but was added by me many years ago.

Just take the slack out of the cable and it gives a constant rpm suitable for 'bootleg' cruise.

post-2635-14150792841123_thumb.jpg

I just got a reply from the PO, and he says that, according to what he remembers, there was a bracket in the engine compartment (on the intake manifold) that the cable attached to, and that bracket is in one of the boxes of "stuff" he gave me. I'll be looking through that "stuff" when I get the chance.

Anybody out there have a picture of an intact very early hand throttle connection to the accelerator, the manifold linkage, or any place else?

Or, I just looked through my picture files, and is the attached picture the pinch bracket that you're talking about?

Thanks!

post-4028-14150792841444_thumb.jpg

I think I'm finally getting the idea. In the attached picture, you can see that bracket that I asked about in the last picture, as it lines up with the little bracket on the top of the accerator that I now know is for the cable end. I gather that the cable goes through the pinch bracket, through the little plastic grommet on the top of the accelerator, and there's a lead ball on the end of the wire to keep it from coming back through. Thus, if you pull on the throttle, it pulls the top of the accelerator forward, which is like pushing on the pedal. If the hand throttle is not pulled, then pushing on the pedal just has the top of the bracket slide along the wire. Do I have it now? Looks like all I need is a cable...

post-4028-14150792841726_thumb.jpg

The bracket in your photo is to grip the cable sheath. Adjust it so that you aren't IMMEDIATELY pulling on the cable, i.e. you need to take up a bit of slack, so that there won't be any conflict with the normal operation of the accelerator pedal.

Enrique