IGNORED

Roll Cage advice?

Ed

Any bolt-in roll bar or cage installation must consider the points of attachment. These areas spread the load back into the unibody and must not be rust damaged or in bad repair. Reinforce the underside of the bolt area with a big - 3" - washer or backing plate larger than the cage base plate. Round off the edges so the plates don't act like can openers on the unibody metal. Make sure the bolts aren't too long that they catch on something underneath. The front of the rocker makes a good front hoop mounting point. The main hoop was (I think) designed to mount on top of the wheel arch. There is a forum about the Nissan sport bar floating around here. Bracing goes back to the shock towers and can be crossed if you like, depending on the main hoop diagonal brace. I'm not a big fan of full cages, although they do offer better side impact protection.

This all depends on what you are going to do with the roll bar. The bar MSA shows is a street bar and is not SCCA legal. I don't know what they mean by their SCCA bar. I think SCCA requires a six point cage, now. Check the GCR before you buy a bar or have one fabbed up.

As far as needing a full roll cage or not depends on what you plan on doing with the car. If it's just auto-X a roll bar will suffice for quite a few classes.

I'm not sure, but I think the roll bars MSA sells are Autopower bars. The street bar would be a thinner wall tube than the SCCA approved bar, and Autopower sells weld in or bolt in cage kits that will work with the SCCA approved bar. I had a 2 inch Autopower cage kit in the old 280 IT car, but I was never truly satisfied as it had both mounting points on each side of the roll bar bolting through the fender well. I prefer the rear "kicker" bar to mount to the top of the strut housing, which is significantly stronger and does more to stiffen the chassis.

I'm not to keen on the one you listed, the price is just too cheap and it doesn't specify whether it is DOM tubing or not. Just cuz it's NHRA approved tells me it probably is not SCCA approved as the NHRA has much looser rules regarding cages.

I personally like the Kirk Racing products if it's a "kit" roll cage or bar you want. They are SCCA approved and the cost is fairly reasonable. I think a full weld in cage for a 240 would be under 800 with shipping.:ermm:

http://www.kirkracing.com/

Or, you could try to talk hmsports into building you up one while he's building the one for his EP car.....:devious:

Thanks for the input guys, I'm looking for something that is not really for racing in any event (but I guess it couldn't hurt). I just want to increase the safety a little and I think a roll bar looks cool. I was thinking of a four point. The front points bolting to the body behind the seats where the seatbelts have that pocket and the rear points to the strut towers.

MSA sells all you'll ever need. If you ever plan on autoX you should go with 2ManyZs advice. I've though about putting one of the 4-point types in my Zed but I want to keep the vintage look. I would love to buy a domestic factory option roll cage.

Does any one know where you can buy the Factory roll cage at. Even a replica?

-Brandon

71 240Z