Unsure how to lock doors - Help Me !! - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Unsure how to lock doors

Featured Replies

Hello,

I am finishing up my build of a 1976 280z.  I got this as a roller and have never owned a Zcar before.  I have just installed the doors back on the car and thoroughly cleaned and lubed both door mechanisms.  I initially had an issue getting the door to latch but got that straightened out with new striker plates.

My next question is on locking the doors.  I can't get them to lock.  I have pushed on the door lock rod to no avail.  My understanding is that the door needs to be shut in order to lock.  I have tried both doors and can't get it.  I've tried with the door closed, open, manually turning the latch all the way by hand, everything.  I don't have the lock tumbler hooked up on the driver's side but do on the passenger side.

The mechanisms look to be in good condition and work fine for latching but either way neither side works for locking.   I checked that the bolts are not interfering at all.  I'm thinking I'm overlooking something obvious here. 

20240801_171323.jpg

 

 

In the bottom left hand corner of your pic, one of the 3 screws that hold the mechanism to the door appears to be too long and may be interfering with the lock lever, just a guess. 

  • Author

Hi Granny, thanks for your comment.  I did verify that the screws are not interfering.  I also backed it out just to be sure and still no luck.

20240801_171430.jpg

 

  • Author
  • Popular Post

I finally figured it out.  The white plastic adjustment screw for the outer door handle rod was screwed too far out.  I screwed it in further and it works.  Whew. 

 

20240801_171323~2.jpg

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.