IGNORED

I like them bouncy...but not my speedo needle

zdude1967

10 hours ago, zdude1967 said:

If the nylon pinion is not destroyed then the pinion should turn,  is this correct?

I guess that the cable does not take on the rotation of the nylon pinion, so the hole in the pinion axle must be rounded out.. get another pinion with 16 tooth gear. (Yellow/greenish color i believe..?  as every different number of teeth gear have different colors?) 

Yup.. see this..

(WOW!! 75 bucks CRAZY!!  happy i got one new in my partsdepartment! pfff...)

image.png

A picture of the rounded out hole in this little axle would be nice, also.. often you can see the problem on a picture better than with the (older) naked eye!

(I don;t know your age but when i need to look at such a problem i shift my contactlens in one eye and i can see everything very clear on about 4 inches distance Hahaha!!  Never lasered my eyes as this is a great solution to looking at very tiny things!) 👍

9 hours ago, zdude1967 said:

Patcon-the speedo cable has a key on the trans side and a specific shape on the speedo side. I unscrewed the cable from the trans and spun it -the speedo moved. It does not move now that it is hooked up. Is there a way to see if the pinion moves while I have the car on ramps. So is what you are saying is the pinion has its own drive in the tranny that would not affect the tranny other then its impact on the speedo pinion?

Yes, the pinion is driven by it own gear.

I tried to find my 5sp transmission rebuild thread but I can't find it. Maybe the librarian will find itI Was wondering if you could drive the car with the speedo unhooked and see the cable turning

9 hours ago, zdude1967 said:

Patcon-the speedo cable has a key on the trans side and a specific shape on the speedo side. I unscrewed the cable from the trans and spun it -the speedo moved. It does not move now that it is hooked up. Is there a way to see if the pinion moves while I have the car on ramps. So is what you are saying is the pinion has its own drive in the tranny that would not affect the tranny other then its impact on the speedo pinion?

Yes, the pinion is driven by it own gear.

I tried to find my 5sp transmission rebuild thread but I can't find it. Maybe the librarian will find itI Was wondering if you could drive the car with the speedo unhooked and see the cable turning, IDK...

Thanks everyone. 

Dutchzcarguy- I have found my old eyes do well with apple phone photos enlarged on the screen.

I am going to try to get under it this Sunday. I bought a new speedo cable from Z car depot and a new Pinion, had to get a 17 tooth, the 16 seems to be on the endangered list. I believe the extra tooth will lower by about 5 miles , I have different wheel so the speedo was oof between 5 and 8ish MPH anyway. 

Patcon- Since I am going to just start replacing stuff I will start the removal of the speedo cable at the speedo and see if it is spinning. I hope this works I liked having a speedo!

Hopefully it has a happy ending- I will update ...thanks

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

So, I worked on it two weeks ago and broke the bolt holding the pinion in place. It was a brief moment of hulk like strength and zippy the pin head intelligence. Anyway- I finally wrapped it up yesterday and everything seems to work fine. Thanks everyone for your help. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Patcon- I think the issue was the key way on the old cable was worn down - I can't say for sure what solved it. But since the cable was the last new item before it started working that must have been the final fix

• Like 1