IGNORED

Idle solenoid for 240Z

z3beemer

So, I'm looking for some suggestions (and possible a part suggestion) for my recently completed 73 240z restoration. During the restoration I install an A/C system.  With the idle adjusted to about 750 rpms the engine bogs down to near stall speed whenever you stop and the A/C is running.  This problem goes away if I increase the idle to about 1000 rpms, but then it's way too high when stopping and the A/C off.  What I'd like to do install a small push solenoid that activates when the A/C is on, allowing the idle to run at the higher rpms only when the A/C is on.  It needs to be a solenoid that can handle being energized for long periods of time and not one designed for momentary use. Has anyone else run into this problem or know of a solenoid that would work in this application? I'll have to fabricate some sort of bracket and mount it somewhere near the accelerator linkage and it would have to be threaded so I can adjust it.   Thanks in advance for your help.

So to see what I could find, I ran across the Edelbrock 8059. (Not me pointing)

image.png

$245? Maybe it could be done cheaper. Hey, my friend Google suggested a Quadrajet solenoid. Okay, but what cars what the Quadrajet? Chevy V8s after 1966.

Let me check with Rockauto about a 73 Camaro with a 350. Hmm, This could work, though it would need a bracket fabricated: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=39841&cc=1034941&pt=10687&jsn=916. It's only $59.

Now, where do you mount it?  There is a pad on the throttle linkage by the EGR that could be pressed by the solenoid.

Pad on Throttle Linkage.jpg

The bracket could be mounted on the EGR (or on the blocking plate if the EGR has been deleted.

How's that?

• Like 1

Hmm, there may be a way to make this work, too. I like that it's threaded. That could give you the adjustability you need for a creative application. It's also relatively cheap.

https://www.jbugs.com/product/049129412C.html?utm_content=shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQiApOyqBhDlARIsAGfnyMrYlnwBku6XT-gmx765EpQ_c_n1XtiWz4JO2P3e6vYVxrxMArI5hqIaAo1QEALw_wcB

• Like 1

When I did the engine on the 73 I used 72 intake, carbs and throttle linkage so the there's no good place to mount it, but I'll figure something out if I can get the right solenoid,  I just need to make sure it is a push solenoid (shaft extends when power is applied).  I'm leaning towards going with the one from Rock Auto ($52) and fabricating a bracket that would mount under the hood latch mounting bracket (see pic) and limit the return on the accelerator linkage when energized. Nice thing is Rock Auto is pretty good about returns if it doesn't work out.  I'll keep you posted on how it works out.  Thanks for your input.

DSC03763.JPG