IGNORED

The mystery of the secret Spare key box (in the frame)

JDMjunkies.ch

Recently i stumblet upon this blog Post from my mate @florian at Datsun-Autowerk, where he claims that some Z's had a secret spare key box in the front radiator frame crossmember thing. After asking a bit more, he said that he had seen it on two cars so far.
240z_ersatzschluessel_2.jpg 240z_ersatzschluessel_1.jpg

cover-1200x600-crop.jpg

I had a closer look at my currently sandblasted frame, but no indications that it ever had it nor that it was modified at some point..
1.jpg

So we checked our R-drive manuals. it seems there were three types of front crossmembers, but none of them ever had a box, according to the drawings:
WhatsApp-Bild-2023-05-05-um-14.46.09-Kop

WhatsApp-Bild-2023-05-05-um-14.46.27-Kop

WhatsApp-Bild-2023-05-05-um-14.46.44-Kop

Same with the L-Drive:
WhatsApp-Bild-2023-05-05-um-15.21.48-Kop

We couldn't find anything in the "keys" section of the Parts manual either, and the key-box is not listed anywere at all.
I can think this is something that was installed in specific markets only due to some safety legal requirements or whatnot, but at the end it seems a bit of a mystery.
It looks too professional and "factory" to be an aftermarket installation, on the other hand, no information is available in the official documentation.

Now the question is: Does anybody know more? Have you seen this on other cars as well? do you probably even have such a feature. Maybe never checked it out?

Whatever you know, we're happy to hear about it 🙂

I used to put a spare behind the tag, on one of the tag fastener screws/bolts. Then I found out that was everyone's secret hide.

Now I have them zip tied on the rear frame behind the rear tire.

BTW, my USA '72 does not have the spare key spot we're talking about.

Edited by siteunseen