IGNORED

Drove my 73 8 miles until it quit...

Tirnipgreen

Hello everyone...I drove my 73 with round tops about 8 miles for it's first half-tank of gas. about a tenth of a mile from home it died. No gas in filter. I'm running on a mechanical pump only and it seemed to be doing fine. I checked that the diaphram is good (essentially new) and all lines are new. Tank has been cleaned, new steel lines, etc. Any thoughts...? Thanks...Ryals in north Georgia

Thump on the tank to make sure you have gas. The gauge could be off. Mine is.

If you haven't yet, put a Fram G2 filter right out of the tanks supply hose. That way you can see if it has gas if this happens in the future.

Take the gas cap off and see if it'll crank. Sometimes the vents get clogged after cleaning and sealing the tank.

Try sticking a red straw off a spray can, WD-40 type, down the vent bung on the float chamber. If the carb has fuel that straw will be "bouncy" feeling. 

Good luck with it. I couldn't get out my neighborhood for a week until I figured out my problems.

• Like 1

Was there fuel in the fuel filter in the engine bay? I assume you have new hoses between the gas tank and the fuel lines and between the fuel lines, fuel pump, fuel rail, and carburetors.

You could try blowing compressed air back to the tank from the fuel filter. If you don't hear air coming through, the fuel line could be clogged.

• Like 1