IGNORED

Purpose of bracket in front of gas tank to right side

RubenD

Thanks for the answer. I didn't even know that was an option. I think i'll keep it for now incase I need to add that later. The car seems to run well with the mechanical fuel pump, but I do have to crank the starter for a while when its cold then it finally sputters to life. I could see how an electric fuel pump could help prime the system. Will read up on this. Thanks again!

On my race car, I made a drop bracket for the Facet fuel pump so it would prime better when hot.  That pump just moved the fuel into the swirl tank where another pump fed the engine.  The drop bracket really helped on hot restarts after fuel stops.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, RubenD said:

Thanks for the answer. I didn't even know that was an option. I think i'll keep it for now incase I need to add that later. The car seems to run well with the mechanical fuel pump, but I do have to crank the starter for a while when its cold then it finally sputters to life. I could see how an electric fuel pump could help prime the system. Will read up on this. Thanks again!

Ironically, if you look in the EF section of the FSM, you'll find that the power to the fuel pump is cut during cranking. You don't say what carburetors you are using, but there should be enough fuel in the float bowls for starting.

• Like 1

Thats very interesting and good point about there being enough fuel in the float bowls. We have roundtop SU carbs.  I'll have to study this more closely after I get the tank back. We took the gas tank to a local radiator shop to be cleaned out and sealed. I was looking through the FSM after you replied yesterday and one thing I noticed is the wires that go to that bracket on my car, don't match the colors shown in the FSM and they're routed back in a peculiar way that doesnt look stock. Looks like a previous owner may have added some wiring for a fuelpump then removed it. I'll need to trace that back and see whats going on. Thanks again!

The 240 and 260Z's came wired for electric fuel pump. If your car had the dealer installed electric pump they would have also added a couple of relays into the circuit that are documented in a separate tech bulletin that's somewhere on here. If your car never had the dealer installed pump the wires are there for an electric pump. I changed my 240 to electric pump and buil my own "tray" for the pump and then found the plug up in the console area that you jump across the 2 wires in the plug to activate the circuit, it is keyed to go live with the ignition switch in run. My current pump is pretty load when the car is off with the ignition switch in the run position and it kind of shifts down when it gets the loop pressurized so I wait for that sound shift before I crank. Probably 5 to 6 seconds max crank when cold with full choke and around freezing temps outside.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, w3wilkes said:

The 240 and 260Z's came wired for electric fuel pump. If your car had the dealer installed electric pump they would have also added a couple of relays into the circuit that are documented in a separate tech bulletin that's somewhere on here. If your car never had the dealer installed pump the wires are there for an electric pump. I changed my 240 to electric pump and buil my own "tray" for the pump and then found the plug up in the console area that you jump across the 2 wires in the plug to activate the circuit, it is keyed to go live with the ignition switch in run. My current pump is pretty load when the car is off with the ignition switch in the run position and it kind of shifts down when it gets the loop pressurized so I wait for that sound shift before I crank. Probably 5 to 6 seconds max crank when cold with full choke and around freezing temps outside.

For the 260Z, the relays and pump were from the factory.