IGNORED

1977 280z Voltmeter only reads while engine is running.

ckurtz2

I have a new issue developing on my 1977 280z coupe.

I am running a 280zx internally regulated alternator that is about 7 months old, as has been functioning properly.

Anyways, the other week I got in the car and noticed my voltmeter on the dash was not working. I tracked it to a blown fuse on the passenger kickpanel, so I replaced it. I then started to notice the voltmeter would bobble slightly at idle which was odd.

Today I came out to the car and noticed the voltmeter was not working again. I immidietly checked the fuse and it was fine. So I turned the key to the on position and the voltmeter would bobble a little, but it still was showing 0V. I started the car and the voltmeter swung right to about 15V and stayed there. So the voltmeter only reads while the car is running. 

Any ideas what these symptoms might be leading to? 

Check to see if you have voltage on both sides of the fuse for the circuits circled in red.

image.png

If you don't, check your fusible links. Also post clear photos of the links where they plug into the engine harness. Let's see the condition of your links.

I went through the fuseable links. All were continuous, and also read 12.6V.

Went back to the fusebox. Started testing all those you circled. All read 12.6V with the ignition on. All fuses read continious. While doing this I heard a click and then the radio turned back on. Voltmeter worked again, and hazards/defogger worked as well. 

So far my theory is that one of the fuses is making a bad connection with the block. I think it read voltage when the car is on, because the alternator allowed it to overcome the resistance.  It may just be as simple as I need to clean the terminals on the fuse block.

However, this may just be a symptom of the issue, as I don't know why the first fuse blew in the first place. Only time will tell.

@SteveJ I was putting pressure at both terminals at one of the fuses trying to read continuity and then I heard a click. Looked a little later at the dash and saw it was reading volts. So I didn't wiggle any connections, besides adding pressure at the fuse block.

Only other thing I could think of is cycling the ignition switch a few times. I also think it is an intermittent connection somewhere.