IGNORED

71??z

tibZ

I was wondering about that car myself. I'm always a bit skeptical when someone lists an early Z car as having "no rust".

My '72 certainly has holes in the steering wheel. I believe only '70 models didn't.

WannaZ,

It's most likely the year he is specifying. Take a look at the picture of the engine bay. See the I.D. tag mounted to the right side strut tower....I believe only the 70's and early 71's had the I.D. tag in this location. Later models have the I.D. tag mounted up on the firewall, somewhere! Someone please correct me, if necessary, as I'm old and forgetful......but I can remember that we ALL do love are early Z's.

Thanks for the input. He's supposed to be sending me some more pictures of the underside and floor pans. and giving me a shipping quote. We'll see. If it was an early 71, wouldn't it have rear vents?

It looks like a 71 that was made early in the year not one made in 70 and registered as 71. The "late" 71's had holes in the spokes and side air vents. Also the air cleaner added the summer/winter sdjustment. I think in 72 the ashtray got moved back in the console. Another thing to check is the tool storage area. In 71 the openings are on top and not in the riser. Both my 70 and late 71 have the info tag on the strut housing.

From what I can see in the pictures, it looks accurate for a 71.

The console matches mine, the ashtray is forward of the shifter. No vent hatches is consistent with the c-pillar venting. Holes in the steering wheel consistent with the 71 model.

Early 71's in the states had the solid steering wheel spokes, as they were "technically" 70 model cars.

Don't forget that while the U.S. for the ~most~ part uses a Sep to Aug "Model" year, whereas Japan was using a Jan-Dec. As a result, the vehicles manufactured after September 70 were STILL 70 model vehicles. Due to the transit time and time to sale many were still being sold well into 71. Then when the new production for 71 started being imported, the car shows the changes, BUT then you have TWO variations for a 71 year Z. At least as far as the U.S. is concerned.

Please note (especially :devious: Alan): I SPECIFICALLY said in the U.S., as some of these Year / Model / Spec anomalies are strictly of American manufacture and not because Datsun changed their model half way through.

Ever heard of a 75 or 76 (and possibly more ) 260 ? They got them in Australia, Japan, and Europe, but NOT in the U.S..

As far as the car on e-Bay, if it is HALF as good as he describes, it is definitely worth it.....for someone in the Northeast. I don't think the cost of transporting it back to the Midwest or back to the Left Coast would be worth it in this case.

I would expect it to go for about $4k West Coast and about $12k East coast.

2¢

Originally posted by EScanlon

I would expect it to go for about $4k West Coast and about $12k East coast.

That seems like a huge gap. For an $8k difference you could make a good living buying one such car a month, transporting it east, and selling it.