IGNORED

Bonnet top center alignment

kats

Hi , I have been unhappy with my 240Z’s bonnet. The top center edge was pointing down quite noticeably. I wanted it lifted up as we have seen it in original, un damaged bonnet. All I have seen old pictures show me beautiful, a bit far from the bumper than the both left and right corners.

So , I did it by my self . It is a crazy thing , It was abrupt method. I used a jack with wood pieces to push the top center of the bonnet. Gradually and carefully lifted it up , I was so scare when I was doing it .

It turned out quite nicely, I must say I am happy with it. 
I don’t see any crack or bumpy , shrink surface . I will do some bonnet hinges adjustments, also may require some head light case and fender adjustments . 

Please see the pictures  !

Kats

A3D58A9D-4308-40ED-B5C1-B688F452CE28.jpeg

08DBFBC3-77BE-4B46-A5FB-83F379F84995.jpeg

7601F8EC-3705-4215-BFD3-20540724D33A.jpeg

Edited by kats
  • Like 1
  • Wow 2

1 hour ago, Patcon said:

That's bold Kats!

Thanks Patcon , maybe I was gambling for it. I was thinking if I damaged the bonnet, I would have had it fixed with original blue # 903 . The reason why I bought a very rough 240Z (-02146) is sampling an original color #903 . 
But for now , I am so happy with the bonnet, to repaint back to original #903 will be postponed to someday.

Kats

Edited by kats
  • Like 1

Hi , I visited Takeuchi san and confirmed his Z432-R also has beautiful front center tip. Nissan genuine FRP bonnet has exactly the same beautiful shape but different structures on the back .You will see some aftermarket FRP ones which are available today have very different structures, i.e. they just copied steel original. Probably it was almost impossible to use genuine Z432-R bonnet as a sample ? 

One thing we noticed , overall width is slightly narrower than steel ones. Shrunk? Or is this a normal genuine one ? 
Alan can tell us about it, please join.

Kats

5DD9A945-A636-40B6-8B37-2A5185FE9A76.jpeg

8DD64394-DEC8-4D28-92AE-CC34EFB97036.jpeg

008A0482-D5DF-4C97-BEF9-828D0220EAA1.jpeg

D7895301-AFFD-4B24-9C41-FDA4D8869F41.jpeg

D3A1EFF1-720F-41B8-8D86-0372A7F05300.jpeg

Edited by kats
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, kats said:

One thing we noticed , overall width is slightly narrower than steel ones. Shrunk? Or is this a normal genuine one ? 
Alan can tell us about it, please join.

Hi Kats,

I think every PZR bonnet I have ever seen has that same gap difference in comparison with the factory steel bonnet, including the period race cars. You can see the fender mounting bolts and rubber pads. So it is 'correct' for PZR and I don't think it is down to shrinkage or distortion.

The aftermarket FRP bonnets on two of my cars have the same feature, so I would *guess* this is possibly a feature of construction and the process of making the moulds/molds? Maybe it is somehow inevitable when using an original steel panel to make the moulds/molds?

I see some variation in the interior structure details of the factory mouldings, so I would again *guess* that this would be down to a process of evolution and/or natural variance of hand-made parts produced in relatively small batches across a period of months and years?

In that period I don't think anyone truly expected an FRP panel to fit as a closely as a factory steel one would.

• Like 1

Thanks Alan, I have learned new today . My FRP bonnet is shorter width, I am happy with it now . I am going to paint it with mat light grey just like the tail light exterior panels and G-nose . I think it will match nicely with 901 silver . I want to express my feelings about my Z432 which is oriented from my respect to Z432-R ,as well as to my original Z432 to be luxurious GT .Not going to paint black with orange .

Kats

• Like 2