IGNORED

PerTronix points replacement: Does this look right?

BoldUlysses

Went to install the PerTronix points replacement kit last night, and I'm a little concerned.

I removed the vacuum pot to check the range of motion on the plate, and I'm worried the igniter wires will bind when the timing is advanced.  See below.

Retarded (OK):

retarded.jpg

Advanced (not OK):

advanced.jpg

Should I be concerned, or am I just being paranoid?  Any suggestions on how to reduce/eliminate the interference?  Feedback from others who've performed this install appreciated.  Thanks!

47 minutes ago, BoldUlysses said:

^Thanks guys.  I may give that a try.  Thinking about zip-tying it to the ground wire to keep it out of the way.  Will keep you posted.

If you use the zip tie, don't make it tight. If it's tight, the wires will be pushing and pulling on the grommet when the mechanical advance is moving the plate back and forth. If it pushes out, that's just an opportunity for water and dirt to infiltrate.

Quick update:  Got it installed thusly:

pertronix.jpg

The zip tie is loose-ish.  It runs just fine (better, even), but I'm having trouble getting the car timed---that's an issue for another thread though.

Overall, not too impressed with the quality of the PerTronix piece.  The metal plate needs to be cut away around where I have the sharpie mark above AND the grommet for the wires doesn't fill the entire opening (it's round and the opening is more oval-shaped).  Unless I shore that up, there's a real risk water will make its way into the dizzy.  Some more work to do here.

Edited by BoldUlysses

• 1 month later...

Final solution:  Got one of the machinists at work to notch out a clearance recess in the plate.

Retarded:

220820-pertronix-retarded.jpg

Advanced:

220820-pertronix-advanced.jpg

Not sure why this wasn't present from the get-go.

Also, I had to trim off about 1/2 of the grounding wire screw since it extended all the way through the plate.

And as mentioned above, the grommet for the wires exiting the distributor housing doesn't fill the oval-shaped hole, raising the very real possibility of water ingestion if I'm not careful.

Again, not impressed with the attention to detail in this kit.  I shouldn't have had to make all these modifications just for it to fit and work properly.

Edited by BoldUlysses
  • Like 2