IGNORED

Fuel tank evap hose leak and tank fuel level question

hotsho111

Figured I'd continue posting pictures on this journey. Took the time to adjust the fuel sending unit while I had slightly easier access to it:

It actually works very similar to a toilet bowl float valve. There's an electromechanical connection, that moves up and down a set of progressive longer to shorter wires which adjusts the resistance, which is then used to determine the fuel level.

There are 3 levels of adjustment: bending the float rod itself, bending the high/low tab stops, and unscrewing and adjusting the contact pad location. I ended up needing to adjust the tab stops (to allow a little more travel) and the contact. I tried adjusting the rod a bit, but not sure I actually made any difference.

image.jpeg

The tab stops:

image.jpeg

The eletromechanical slider with it's adjustment screw:image.jpeg

Just gotta be mindful that you don't want it reading "Empty" when there's literally no fuel left. You want a little head room there.

I had a janky setup with my webcam attached to my phone so I could see the fuel gauge while adjusting the sender, but it ended up working out extremely well.

This was basically the setup I had:

image.jpeg

And the view from the camera:

image.png

It looks like the tank was sealed in the past, but it looks a little questionable inside the tank, so I'm just going to refinish it.