IGNORED

clock replacement

mjyikes

Is your clock not working?

Mine wasn't either. I pulled it out, removed the motor from the mechinism connected it to a battery to test if the motor still worked. It did. Then I lubricated the spindles with light grade oil, like the stuff that comes with sewing machines (Thanks Mum), put it back together and it's worked ever since.

I left it connected to a battery for a couple of weeks so i could adjust the screw in the back fro accuracy.

-----------------------------------------------------

Mr C

If its broke, try fixing it first.

Originally posted by mjyikes

Has anyone had good luck replacing the clock from a 72 Z with a clock from a newer vehicle or an aftermarket source ?

I bought a clock on eBay that was a 240Z clock housing and clock hands and face, with a Quartz 280Z clock mechanism installed behind the clock face. Keeps time like a champ and looks exactly like it should for a 240Z. Got it for under $40 to boot!

Thanks for the help guys. I tried to see if the motor still worked and it doesn't. It looks like if I can find a cheap 280Z clock and use the internals, it should work well. So I'm off to All Z Auto parts tomorrow morning.

As Mike described, I bought the quartz converted clock, sold by MSA, built by this ZClock4U fellow. It appears to be a quality product. The AA battery will last over a year. it has a long lead attached to the battery holder, so you can position the battery down by the fuse panel for easy access.

I sure like knowing what time it is! But, even more obsessive, I can't stand for inoperative functions in my Z! Everything Must Work!

Interesting. I figured the "professional" quartz upgrade wouldn't use a AA battery. I bought a cheap mechanism at a crafts store for about $5. I think just about every battery-powered wall clock you buy these days uses this same mechanism. I was planning on figuring out how to use a transformer to run it off of the regular 12V clock circuit. The only tricky part will be to get the regular Z clock push-and-twist clock adjustment hooked up. I may even be able to have a seconds hand.

Originally posted by MikeW

Interesting. I figured the "professional" quartz upgrade wouldn't use a AA battery. I

Hi Mike:

Yeah, that's what I thought. So I didn't go that route. $86 seemed a bit more than I thought a battery powered quartz clock was worth. I got a 280Z Quartz movement that was installed into the 240Z housing using the face and hands of the 240Z (Jeco) clock, so it looks completely normal from a 240Z perspective. Keeps perfect time too! :D

Hi friends,

mine was not working too,oil didn't help.

But replacing the capacitors on the print solve the problem.

They were too old and weak. It will cost you 1 $.

After this you must recalibrate the time with a external supply.

Good luck

Rainer

My clock looks good set to a perpetual 9:00. Morning is my favorite time anyway, so when I get in the z it's always morning. My son will be installing a stereo anyway, so he'll be able to get the time from that flashing neon display. Victor.

Where did you get your caps?

Originally posted by germanz

Hi friends,

mine was not working too,oil didn't help.

But replacing the capacitors on the print solve the problem.

They were too old and weak. It will cost you 1 $.

After this you must recalibrate the time with a external supply.

Good luck

Rainer