IGNORED

Interesting (new?) Money Saving ‘Feature’ on Ebay Noticed

zKars

You know, we all do it, browse through some marketplace, ebay, craigslist, Kijiji, looking for Datsun goodies, sometimes you find something interesting and you put it in your shopping cart for later. Gives you a chance to ask that eternal question, “Need” or “Want”….  Makes you feel like you’re in control of your purchases. Right… Anyway.

Well I’ve done that on ebay lately, put a couple if items in my cart for “later”, A headliner for my latest 510 project, some key blanks for Z locks, etc. Both items were simple purchase, not auctions.

Well, the key blanks were in the cart first and by themselves for about a week when I get this un-expected notification from ebay that the seller has given me an a special discount offer of 10% off if I agree to buy in the next little while. Interesting! Decided not to push the button just yet. 

Then after adding the head liner, about 3 days later I get a similar message about a discount offer of 11%! This one I jumped on, as I was just waiting to decide who to buy it from. (Goliners, respected well know Datsun headliner vendor, not a scam)

So next time you want to buy something on Ebay, and you can wait a few days, put it in your cart and let it “ferment” there for a few days and see what happens! Maybe you’ll get a discount too!

BD7C9678-B5F0-4E1C-B54E-411CF6876CA9.jpeg

Edited by zKars
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Note that clicking "watch item" triggers the same thing.  The ebay platform has functionality for sellers and they are reaching out to people who have expressed interest - they are more qualified leads after all.  Some sellers do, and some do not extend discounts.  

• Agree 2

Feature's been around for a couple years now at the very least - my first discount offer was in August of 2019. Privy tactic of seasoned eBayers throwing things in your watchlist to see if the seller offers a good discount, as you said. From my experience, if a seller is offering a discount, you can often make a counteroffer for even less. They've probably had it listed for a while and want it gone.