IGNORED

Bumper rubber issue

Wally

I am just not getting to putting on my new bumpers. I am on the back sides currently. the rubbers are on and tightened up but look bad. they dont hug the bumper. 

I am not supposed to use some type adhesive am I?

IMG_2574.jpg

22 minutes ago, Wally said:

I am just not getting to putting on my new bumpers. I am on the back sides currently. the rubbers are on and tightened up but look bad. they dont hug the bumper. 

I am not supposed to use some type adhesive am I?

A project dear to my heart as I'm doing the same with my '71.  No adhesive required.  I think if you loosen nuts on the mounting studs on the rubber pieces just a bit, you'll find that there is a little "slop" in how the studs fit through the mounting holes in the bumpers and over riders. That gives wiggle room to adjust the fit and remove the gap between trim and bumper before tightening the nuts on the studs.

My front bumper was easy and the rear is a nightmare.  The mounting studs on the trim are rusted and I have to use a hacksaw between the trim and bumper face to cut the mounting studs.

So i had the rear and front rubbers on wrong ends. It was easy to do. Anyway when i changed them and realized they cover up one of the chrome bolt holes it looked much much better. almost no gap 

IMG_2577.jpg

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Wally said:

So i had the rear and front rubbers on wrong ends. It was easy to do. Anyway when i changed them and realized they cover up one of the chrome bolt holes it looked much much better. almost no gap 

IMG_2577.jpg

Success!  No rear bumper over riders?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2021 at 4:58 PM, Wally said:

the S.S. repros dont have them.  I do have my old over riders though. When i am done with the car i will assess 

if i want to go back and "add" them. 

One note of caution. Back in the day when I re-did my chrome I had a damaged rear left corner. When I got the new piece I found that I had to re-chrome all the bumper pieces so it would match. Have you laid the over riders by the bumpers to see if there's much difference in the color, reflectance, or something else.