IGNORED

Sudden engine shutoff

chaseincats

10 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

You can certainly measure the resistance of the pickup coil. I assume (but haven't looked) that there is a spec in the FSM to compare it against.

But I'm thinking that if there is enough heat up there to cook the insulation on the wires, that just wrapping them with tape wouldn't change much. You would just start cooking the tape instead of cooking the wires.

Bottom line? I think it might be a red herring, but I'd keep a close eye (and nose) on it. There should never be a hot electronics smell in the engine compartment. I know exactly the smell you're talking about, and that should not be happening.

I just went to test it and got 740 ohms.  The FSM says it's bad if it is "far less than, or more than, 720 ohm" so I guess that at least on paper isn't it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2021 at 8:39 PM, Captain Obvious said:

Right. On paper, that's not it.

Of course, however... There is still the possibility that it's intermittent, and it was 740 Ohms that instant with the wires in exactly that position when you measured it.

Aren't I just the bluebird of optimism?    LOL

I noticed today that after taping up that burned wiring sleeve that the car starts up WAY faster.  I don't think I'm nuts, it's pretty noticeable.