IGNORED

Need help 5 speed identification

Hi Bart,

Here is a link to tech aticles with a how to identify a F5W71B tranny.

The 71B you scored looks like a wide ratio. Yours has no reverse lockout. If you check the other side of the extension housing you will see a second exhaust hanger ear and the speedo locating tab is above the speedo cable.

If it was out of a 280ZX, then it was the 2+2 version.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EuroDat said:

Hi Bart,

Here is a link to tech aticles with a how to identify a F5W71B tranny.

The 71B you scored looks like a wide ratio. Yours has no reverse lockout. If you check the other side of the extension housing you will see a second exhaust hanger ear and the speedo locating tab is above the speedo cable.

If it was out of a 280ZX, then it was the 2+2 version.

Yes 2 ears.  Could be 280 OR 280zx? 

The 240Z US 4 speed driveshaft yoke should slide right in if im correct?

2 hours ago, bartsscooterservice said:

The transmission looks like the early A type right? It has  the monkey shifter..

Could it be the euro a type?

It looks like the F5C71A to me. It has all the right signs, but I'm not an expert on these transmissions. I know the 71B and 71C very well. I had one of these F5C71A apart back in 1983 from a mates old 240Z. 

Edited by EuroDat
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bartsscooterservice said:

Yes 2 ears.  Could be 280 OR 280zx? 

The 240Z US 4 speed driveshaft yoke should slide right in if im correct?

2 ears means its a wide ratio, which could be a 280Z of a 280ZX 2+2. The 280ZX coupe (non turbo) had what we call the close ratio.

As far as I know all the European 240Z MT 5 speeds 70 -73 had the 3.9 R180. The one you found is an F5C71A which would put it in the first 18 months of productions. Somewhere in mid 71 they changed to the F5C71B in Europe and Australia.

If i can find the 3.90 r180 and driveshaft i might use it myself.. can the kmh Speedo work on a mph dash? If i change the drive gear?

The 280zx 5 speed requires trans tunnel modification for the shifter right?

How about the euro A type? Since it had the same monkey style shifter like my A type us spec 4 speed... With the straight shifter

Would if fit without modification?