IGNORED

HG leak? Coolant leak help!!

dylancorrea1

Hey, so I finally got the car running after some AFM adjustment, still need to timing and final tuning, but today after starting the car, I realized there is a coolant puddle forming, I did not catch this till today. It’s been running well for only 3 days, the car just had a new upgraded radiator and coolant change done. Im not sure if its a head gasket, or a simple leak fix I could really use some help on diagnosing the problem. The coolant is dripping just above my starter. 839b1d18d7721c4daf9b0c30ebe54a3a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIMG_9838.jpgIMG_9838.jpg

Appears to be that heater hose to me.

You could bypass the heater core using one hose connecting the cylinder head nipple back to the lower radiator hose. 

You can buy those hoses new from Nissan still, not braided but new.

Orrrr cut off an inch or so and see what it does?

Edited by siteunseen

Take a paper towel, fold in half, then half again and then place it like a hammock under that fitting and heater hose you have circled in the picture above. Bring it up tight to the bottom of the fitting and hold it for a bit. Then take it off and see if there's any moisture on the paper towel. No? Do much the same on the side of the block under that fitting. Use dry towels each time, continue until you find a damp spot.

• Like 1

Take a paper towel, fold in half, then half again and then place it like a hammock under that fitting and heater hose you have circled in the picture above. Bring it up tight to the bottom of the fitting and hold it for a bit. Then take it off and see if there's any moisture on the paper towel. No? Do much the same on the side of the block under that fitting. Use dry towels each time, continue until you find a damp spot.

Its damp, it appears to leak more from the sides of the fitting than the bottom, do you have any ideas what it could be? The engine is still hot as I was running it, but i will check for chocolate milk on the oil cap, the dip stick did not have any “cream” on it.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIMG_9840.jpg

Appears to be that heater hose to me.
You could bypass the heater core using one hose connecting the cylinder head nipple back to the lower radiator hose. 
You can buy those hoses new from Nissan still, not braided but new.
Orrrr cut off an inch or so and see what it does?

Pardon for my terrible ignorance, Could you draw the set up for me I’m a better visual learner. I want to make sure not to mess anything up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That elbow wouldn't budge for me but that's not saying much as I'm a weakling. LOL

You don't want to deadhead the rear of the cylinder head by plugging that elbow. I did and after much scorning and reading learned not to.

Here's some reading for you.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bypassing+heater+core+classiczcars.com&source=lmns&bih=545&biw=320&client=ms-android-americamovil-us-revc&prmd=vsin&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjc-Y60muPwAhVD0FMKHVtyDcUQ_AUoAHoECAAQAg#scso=_OROsYLK_FIOFwbkPhIK0YA24:0

That was quick! IMO, You'll need a new hose but I think you'll find that the real problem is that fitting.  Once you remove the hose from it, you'll find it corroded mostly away.

Thank you so much, I panicked thinking it was a HG issue, Nissan can provide my the part, sadly not braided :(

That elbow wouldn't budge for me but that's not saying much as I'm a weakling. LOL
You don't want to deadhead the rear of the cylinder head by plugging that elbow. I did and after much scorning and reading learned not to.
Here's some reading for you.
https://www.google.com/search?q=bypassing+heater+core+classiczcars.com&source=lmns&bih=545&biw=320&client=ms-android-americamovil-us-revc&prmd=vsin&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjc-Y60muPwAhVD0FMKHVtyDcUQ_AUoAHoECAAQAg#scso=_OROsYLK_FIOFwbkPhIK0YA24:0

Thank you for the help, I think I’ll replace the line even though I live in California the girlfriend does get cold very easily and I wouldnt want her complaining the whole drive how cold it is.

That was quick! IMO, You'll need a new hose but I think you'll find that the real problem is that fitting.  Once you remove the hose from it, you'll find it corroded mostly away.

One more thing, before removing the hose must I drain the whole cooling system as well? Or just the hose?

To be honest, it is a pain but I would do both hoses and the rubber gromments on the fire wall

1 minute ago, dylancorrea1 said:

One more thing, before removing the hose must I drain the whole cooling system as well? Or just the hose?

Start loosening at the bottom and let it drain. I don't think the contents of the radiator will come out but aftet seeing your photo you need to change the fluid. Shouldn't be rusty looking.