New fuel pump/tank process - Fuel Injection - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

New fuel pump/tank process

Featured Replies

I recently had the fuel tank refurbished on my 1975 280Z  (fuel injection). I’m also going to put on a new OEM fuel pump. It has had both of them off for about six months, so I’m wondering when I put the gas tank and fuel pump on do I need to bleed any lines or just let the fuel pump do its work. I have no experience with fuel injection.

Thanks

E

When you have everything back together, prime the system by temporarily disconnecting the small wire on the starter solenoid and turning the key to start.  About 10 seconds should do it.  Excess fuel will flow back to the tank thru the return line.   Re-connect solenoid and start car.  Check for leaks at pump and tank connections.

Make sure you use fuel injection rated clamps on anything after and including the pump output side.  Not those cheap gear clamps.  

  • Author

S30Driver,

Sounds good! Thanks for the information. Definitely, I used the proper clamps. 

E

I also read that after emptying the tank (in a 280zx and maybe also the 280z because it's the same system) and/or run out of gas you have to fill up the tank at least half way!  Otherwise the pump will NOT get any fuel, just wanted to ad that!

  • Author

S30Driver,

That worked as advertised. I ran the ignition in start for 10 seconds with the lead to the S terminal of the starter/solenoid disconnected. Then reconnected the starter S lead and the car started on the first turn! Thanks!

 

Dutchzcarguy,

I put 2 1/2 gallons in an empty tank and the car started.

 

E

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.