IGNORED

OT: What car next??

Zpeed

OK, so people have read my post about my car being stolen and found burnt, if you havn't check the australian forum and my post is in there etc...

Welll

I Know 3-5 differant types of cars that i would want to own, differant price range, but basically i don't want a sedan or nothing un sporty with great handling,. like my Z was, can't stand driving a family car, even if it has grunt as its just not me...

My main criteria is a bit of grunt, great handling and looks are just as important, i'm not going to buy another Z, as the next Z i buy is going to be the best i can find, and don't have the $$$ to do that at this time... basically i want a car that i can have as much fun as i did with my Z but have LSD stock and turbo... also has to have 4 seats, as if i'm not buying a Z better have more than 2 seats... must be manual and RWD.... any opinions on the cars below or more suggestions... are very much appreciated....

of course i am in australia, i do have a budget, but matters what i want to spend etc, and don't want to blow the budget and be in debt etc...

My options

93 S13 Silvia 5spd SR20det import, LSD stock 150kw huge tuning potential, cost around 10k, but i'll be borrowing money, and not really having $$ to relise that potential

86 Z31 200zr Black with Targa, 200zr suspension, so its sports car handling, 5spd NICS rb20det import,LSD stock good tuning potential, cost is 4.2k, have a few g spare to do a few mods etc, to get it up to the power that i would like it to be, but is also a oldish car, but this one is been cared for 136 original K's, Currently this is my favorite

87-88 Z31 300zx aust spec, vg30et 5spd, most have high K's and don't have LSD, but do have 150kw for around the 5-7k mark, and is very tuneable engine... but old engine so possible problems

87 R31 Skyline 2 door Rb20det NICS 5spd, LSD, cost around 6.5k, same engine as 200zr but differant body etc, havnt looked at this car yet, was going to on saturday, but i know these cars, but i havn't read much about there handling etc

AE86 Toyota sprinter, possibly with a 4agze, but aust spec come with a shitty 4ac which is like 86kw=crap, but great handling car, but no LSD stock, cult car as the Z is also... but are expensive for what spec they are in australia, hard to find a rust free example also...

or i can wait till next year and import a 89 model R32 GTST for around the 10-12k, or a MA70 supra twin turbo for around 9k, or a 89 300zxTT 2+2 5spd for around the same price...

and i was also thinking of a VL turbo, which has a Rb30et and definatly get a 5spd, but again $^!# handling, and are way to expensive for the year and quality of build, but they are a nissan motor... and are all thrashed by younger drivers...

if you havn't relised, yes i love my nissans, and not realllly sure about other types of cars, a few toyotas,

EDIT: i just relised how much i wrote.. dang it

I'll go through the list and give you my opinion!

93 S13 Silvia 5spd SR20det

I thought they ended in 1992, oh well, The SR20 K's is a great car, and that engine is strong as anything, I'm sure you know. However, I find the car very common, and just a little boring. When they were first eligible to import I was in love, but as you know now the streets are FULL of them, and I dunno about you, but I like my cars to be different.

86 Z31 200zr Black with Targa

Sounds like a steal at that price, I'd love one of these, but in black you know it'll be a pain to keep clean and also a car this old will show ALL the imperfections. They're still heavy barges though, and if you have any problems related to the car, it might be hard to find a solution. Common engine and body though, so that shouldn't be too hard to service/repair.

87-88 Z31 300zx

If you get a turbo, then they're good. I think there are better choices here though...

87 R31 Skyline 2 door

I love these things, they're just so.. Japanese. A bit of a wanker car now though unfortunately. They're not exactly pretty either.

AE86 Toyota sprinter

If you mod one up to the extreme, these are great, but without spending $$$ they're actually not very special. A lot of hype from Initial D, and you'll get kids in your street ordering tofu from you. Also a thoroughly Japanese car. *grin*

R32 GTS-t

Now we're talking. Although you won't be able to test drive, prices next year are going through the floor as you know, these cars are BRILLIANT. Just a 15 year old sports car I can't see myself buying without a test drive... you save money because it's a high risk.

MA70 Supra TT

I love these cars too, they're not very good handling cars though I've been told.

Z32 300ZX TT

Another car I'd be very wary about buying without a full mechanical check. But theyre so cheeeeeeeeap! LOL

VL Turbo Rb30ET 5Sp

hahhaaaha

Hope that helped! Do you have any pics of the 200ZR? I'd like to see them :D

i don't have any pictures of the actaul 200zr.... but i've got a picture of a white one from japan, massive hood scope for the intercooler... unfortunately it isn't the Califonian edition, also it doesn't weigh like a barge, the KG is 1280 for the 200zr, the normal Z31 with all the luxury BS is like 1390 or 1430 for the auto

as for the oldish stuff and imperfections of the 200zr, in the example i am looking at, there isn't many imperfections, the interoir is perfect, engine is strong, body has no imperfections, and i wash my cars regulary, its just a thing i do, so a black car won't be a pain for me, just a tad more of a challange.. also T-tops is the main advantage coming from the 200zr.. also easy swap for a Rb25det engine also...

and i understand with all your other reasons, the exact same reasons why i susgested them, but also the exact same reason why i don't think i will buy one... i would love a R32 gtst, but they go for around 13-15k for a car that is already here and complied which is out of my budget... damn bummer... also i know this 200zr hasn't been trashed, the owner is quite the iregular owner for the car.. he was showing me that it makes cow noises rather than how good the turbo spools up,

post-2900-14150792743823_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by Alfadog

AE86 Toyota sprinter

If you mod one up to the extreme, these are great, but without spending $$$ they're actually not very special. A lot of hype from Initial D, and you'll get kids in your street ordering tofu from you. Also a thoroughly Japanese car. *grin*

Id politely like to beg to differ on this suggestion.

Imho after driving a few mild examples and seeing them in action at wakefield, it doesnt take much to have a lot of fun in these cars. Sure it will never be a super fast car in a straight line unless you invest a lot of money, however the driving experience lies in the fact it is extremely adjustable and agile.

My friends sprinter didnt have any real brand name stuff, just stiffer king springs and shocks, a more agressive wheel alignment, 88kw 4age, and a disc brake rear end. He bought his car as it was for 3 grand.. (bargain!)

In a straight line it was a bit of a slug, but at Eastern creek it was timed at 1:01.

Definitely not a car to suit everyone [the vast majority dont really care for ordinary looking cars with high revving small capacity engines- in fact i didnt really understand it either until i drove one!]. The only modern car i can think of which compares to the driving experience of the sprinter is something like a NA6 Mx5.

Unfortunately due to the initial D craze, prices for these cars have risen ... and to get a properly sorted clean example would be around 6 grand and above.

Originally posted by Zpeed

My main criteria is a bit of grunt, great handling and looks are just as important

TRS, this is what I based what I said on, yeah sure they're great handling cars on a race track but not much grunt and looks aren't great at all.

300z tt of course. I've owned my z32 two seater for the last 3 years with relativly trouble free motoring, however it took two years to find it and there are alot of dungas out there if your looking in that sub $15k bracket. Still these are cars that that go better than they look and I constantly get people thinking its a Ferrari! but probably more amusing is the number of people on the highway that see me in their rear veiw mirror and pull off the road:D

Steve

Originally posted by Alfadog

TRS, this is what I based what I said on, yeah sure they're great handling cars on a race track but not much grunt and looks aren't great at all.

I agree its probably not the car that Zspeed is looking for.

But i was disagreeing with your point that

"they are not special unless you throw a bucket of money at them".

back on topic, have you considered one of the series 4 or 5 rx7 turbo's?

Some of them occasionally dip below 10 grand- although finding a good one is quite hard.

We used to have an aussie delivered one way back when they were released, and it was a great car at the time.

Well I think you should buy a $^!# heap and drive that till you finish Uni. You'll have money in your pocket and you might be able to save for that future Z :classic: . I don't think it really matters if it's a Silvia VL LOL or a R32 GTST you'll want a Z again and you know it :classic: .

Sure we all want the fast cars for the wank factor I went through a stage of wanting a VL haha see what friends do when they get in your ear. ROFL

If anything Nathan on your budget the 200ZR is the bargain of the day and if you blow an engine it's about 2k for a second hand one how good is that?

Remember my 240z only cost me dare I say $7.5k but I have spent over 3k in getting roadworthy and fixiing rust, suspension, etc... but hey I luv it and everyone looks at it no matter where I drive it. :love:

Infact I pulled into KFC last night (My classy restaurant) and there was a Porsche boxter parked but everyone was looking at the z with it's throbbing dual exhausts :love: .

Yer i told ya already gav, that i will buy one again soon, but not as my next car...

and i an't buying a $^!# heap 120y or watever and driving it around, as like you said for the wank factor and also, i just don't want to spend $500 bucks on a shitty 120y...

The sprinter i love, they look resonably good, but i wouldn't buy one unless it was wayy cheap like 1500, for a stock aust spec one, or it had a 100kw 4age or a 4agze, then i'll be having some fun... i know they handle like crayz thats why i wouldnt mind having one, but i also just the straight line speed, reason why i'm not fully contemplating this, and also don't come with lsd unless its modified then i'll be looking at over 6k anyway...

the power factor is becuase, personally i like to drive fast, and slapping it thought the gears and getting wheel spin, and kicking the arse around and doing a few dori style, when i had skinny tyres on the Z it would do it no problem.. and surprisingly quite well and stayed out a while also..

I'll be checking the 200zr out again tommorrow after i finish work, hopefully its not raining