IGNORED

Engine Stands

Mike

Hi all,

Has anyone seen, built, or know where to buy a side mount engine stand for the L-series engine?

I've seen pictures (in the manuals) of this side-mount stand. It would be GREAT if I could get my hands on one of these. I really hate mounting my engine where I can't get at the flywheel.

A side mount engine stand? Hmm...

Where did it mount to? I can see using one of the engine mounts (but actually bolting to the block) but where else? Transmission housing bolt, maybe? But that would still limit your access to the flywheel wouldn't it?

Any good with a welder? :D

You're right, Mike. There are four (4) mounting hole just under the front carb. If my memory serves me, this is where the smog pump and/or A/C compressor bracket bolts on. (I haven't had the smog junk on my car since '93!)

It looks like you could make a plate to use all four holes and then also use the engine mount holes, too. Although the engine would be prone to leaning to one side once the rotating pin was removed from the stand mount.

Like I said, any good with a welder? :)

• 2 weeks later...

Mike,

Was looking through my service manual the other day and saw one of these side mounts. The pictures in my manual show it being mounted on the passenger (right) side of the engine, using the 3 holes where the alternator mounts up and the right side engine mount. Looked like a pretty clean set-up to me.

Maybe one of these days I'll play around with my welder and see what I can come up with.....

Ah, yes that's where I saw the engine stand in the first place.

It would be very cool engine stand (if put together the right way). But, I was wondering if Nissan sells these stands or not.

I should look at the Microfiche CD. It's got a list of specialty tools for working on a Z. I wonder if that stand is listed and has a part number.

Sorry, I don't know about the side mount. But when I was at Rebello Racing they had these slick stands that were very low and had four casters, kind of a engine kreeper if you will. I believe it used the lower engine mounts at the back and alt. and smog pump side mounts on the block at the front. I also believe it whoud allow for the flywheel to be mounted while on the stand. Although at one point I stored a L6 with head and FI on a conventional type for several years without a problem, I thought about checking this out because of how long and heavy the L6 looks on a conventional type. You might want to check with some Z-engine builders to see what they are useing around the shop and ask them where they get them.

Hope it helps!

Mike,

I had my engine out last spring. Tried to mount the engine at the trans, but it wanted to tip over, being nose heavy. I removed the alternator and its bracket, and I believe the bolt that holds the engine pull hook and bolted the stand right to the engine block, with no extra plates or anything. Just make sure you get a 4 point stand (for stability) and one that has adjustable arms for mounting.

Good luck!

Marty