IGNORED

280z interior

User0945

I need help because i cant find any information on what the interior should be painted or coated with. The last owner redid the floor panels and now they look like this. Should I keep that black coat? Is painting the interior the same process as the exterior or what products am i supposed to use? There is no rust that i can see under the car.

2.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

9.jpg

20201012_165435.jpg

I guess that depends on how original you want your car to be after it is done.  If it were me I would remove the PO's coating on the floors as you can see rust bleeding through in many places which means it wasn't prepped properly, take it down to bare metal first to find out what you have to work with.

• Like 1

The floor pans look like the ones Zedd Findings makes and sells, also the foot well part of the fire wall looks like it has been patched.

Do you know why the transmission stick shift hole has been welded up?  I'm going to bet there is quite a bit more rust there than you think, there is telltale signs all over the interior.

I have no idea as to why, is rusting on that part below, im going to get a photo tomorrow. Im a total noob at body work but for what i understeand i need to sand everythung to bare metal and prime it just like the exterior and blend the welds. After priming should the hole car be painted as one and just put the interior trim over that?

3 hours ago, Zed Head said:

This is a weird thing, the welded hole.  Even the automatic needs that.  Some sort of hydraulically actuated thing?  What's the back story on the car?

image.png

I have no story except that the owner bought the car in georgia and welded a new floor. Maybe he redid the that part too but was too lazy to cut the hole back, car also has a cut roll cage and a Z motorsports sticker on the back window, but i lost the contact of the guy, i guess i will never know.

Edited by User0945

7 hours ago, User0945 said:

I have no idea as to why, is rusting on that part below, im going to get a photo tomorrow. Im a total noob at body work but for what i understeand i need to sand everythung to bare metal and prime it just like the exterior and blend the welds. After priming should the hole car be painted as one and just put the interior trim over that?

There is some very good reading here, https://www.autobody101.com/forums/index.php?sid=f044bf1f351a02abe241234902095df9

14 hours ago, User0945 said:

I have no story except that the owner bought the car in georgia and welded a new floor. Maybe he redid the that part too but was too lazy to cut the hole back, car also has a cut roll cage and a Z motorsports sticker on the back window, but i lost the contact of the guy, i guess i will never know.

Kind of looks like he might have been stiffening up the body for drag racing.  How does the engine bay look?  Are the factory L28 engine mounts in place?

Looks like quite a project.  Keep an eye out for a wrecked 280Z for interior parts.  They're hard to find.