IGNORED

Opinions on wheels that require hub-centric rings?

Pilgrim

I'm looking at some wheels but they require hub-centric rings. I've always been reluctant to use wheels with spacers or rings, so I have no experience with this.

Do those of you with experience find wheels that require hub-centric rings to perform well and reliably?

Thanks for your thoughts based on experience.

Back when I had bmw cars I had to install hub-centric rings a few times when mixing wheels that weren't original, it was a bit of a pain but those wheels ran true.  I'm not implying that stud-centric wheels can't also run true but personally if I had the option I would go with the rings.  It might just be a feel good thing but I can't help thinking it is a more accurate system.

I agree with granny above that hub-centric location could/should be more accurate than stud located if the car you're working with was designed to be used in that way. The problem as I see it is... The Z is not designed for that.

(Unless you manage to catch the small lip right near the base of the post) the front hubs have that tapered rough cast surface on the center bearing post. That center of the original hubs might run perfect in the center, or it might not. It certainly wasn't machined to guarantee that it would:
P1090421.JPG

And the rears have a machined center area, but I think it may be too short to reach deep enough into wheels to do any registration?
stock rear hubs.jpg

Edited by Captain Obvious