IGNORED

Right Direction For Mustache Bar

Muzez

Okay, so I might be crazy, but what is the correct direction to install the mustache bar on a 1977 280z with the R200?

In the service manual, it looks like the bushings are rear facing which is how I installed the bar (see photo below). But in the updated specs on Atlantic Z, it looks like the bushings are forward facing. Which is the correct way to install?

80A1917F-B236-43E4-8843-088935A254D0.jpeg

Service Manual

F0C55FD5-FBEF-4B54-A196-DB2AB753B0B1.jpeg

Atlantic Z Specs

6E0E45CC-97CA-4A93-BADE-8170EAA3F52A.jpeg

Hi Dmuzial,

I have a 78Z manual, and had this same problem about a year and a half ago....actually started a thread in the Engine and Drivetrain section since I originally ran across the problem when installing the diff...you can see it here:

Lots of good responses to my questions by the forum members.  Bottom line was that some of the drawings in the FSM were copied from previous year models and are  incorrect. Like you, I initially installed the bar with the bushing cylinders aft of the mustache bar (per the FSM diagram) only to discover that I couldn't get the forward diff mount to line up correctly. It all worked out good once I reversed the bar so that the bushing cylinders were forward.  Love this forum...never fails to get you back on track with whatever Z problem you're tackling at the moment!

• Like 3

Hi Dmuzial,
I have a 78Z manual, and had this same problem about a year and a half ago....actually started a thread in the Engine and Drivetrain section since I originally ran across the problem when installing the diff...you can see it here:

Lots of good responses to my questions by the forum members.  Bottom line was that some of the drawings in the FSM were copied from previous year models and are  incorrect. Like you, I initially installed the bar with the bushing cylinders aft of the mustache bar (per the FSM diagram) only to discover that I couldn't get the forward diff mount to line up correctly. It all worked out good once I reversed the bar so that the bushing cylinders were forward.  Love this forum...never fails to get you back on track with whatever Z problem you're tackling at the moment!

@ea6driver glad I was not the only one. :) thanks for the link. This forum has been great for keeping me on track as this is the first classic Z I have owned and the first restoration of any kind. Have learned so much over the last year thanks to everyone here.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

• Like 1