IGNORED

73 240z upper door sill repair

DC871F

Hi all, Is there an upper door sill repop available? I have significant rust on both driver and passenger side where the thin vertical piece where the door closes.

It looks like a gnarly repair if you were to start cutting it out and fabricating it. The car is on a rotisserie. It looks like there are a few joints there from the inner door sill and outer.

THanks all.

240z sill.jpg

Edited by DC871F

The inner and outer is reinforced with a standing part in the middle.. but you would/should have known this if you had the service manual  (I don't start a car repair without one!)  you can google for parts they are available for as far i know.

Also look with a camera (on your phone a sheap extra) IN the beam.. most are rusted out inside and posible you have to replace the whole beam..

Edited by dutchzcarguy

3 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

The inner and outer is reinforced with a standing part in the middle.. but you would/should have known this if you had the service manual  (I don't start a car repair without one!)  you can google for parts they are available for as far i know.

Also look with a camera (on your phone a sheap extra) IN the beam.. most are rusted out inside and posible you have to replace the whole beam..

Car is on a rotisserie completely disassembled.

I understand how its put together, I was just asking if someone knew of a place who makes aftermarket parts for this area.

Thanks.

20190410_204450_1554943520551_001.jpg

You can get what you need from this Florida-based supplier:  KlassicFab Vintage JDM

https://kfvintagejdm.com/product-category/datsun/

KFV are relatively new to the Datsun Z market (since 2019?), but well-known for their line of replacement panels for VW Kombi buses.  The traditional supplier of replacement outer-body panels is Tabco.  Based on reports from others, Tabco's panels offer a fit that is just 'ok'.  Tabco doesn't offer the inner rocker -- just the outer.   

If you use the 'search' function, you'll find some excellent threads within this website that illustrate the repair of this area in detail (lots of photos and lots of great pointers).  Members whose build threads come to mind include:  wheee, convertt, grannyknot, eurodat and patcon. 

8 minutes ago, Namerow said:

You can get what you need from this Florida-based supplier:  KlassicFab Vintage JDM

https://kfvintagejdm.com/product-category/datsun/

KFV are relatively new to the Datsun Z market (since 2019?), but well-known for their line of replacement panels for VW Kombi buses.  The traditional supplier of replacement outer-body panels is Tabco.  Based on reports from others, Tabco's panels offer a fit that is just 'ok'.  Tabco doesn't offer the inner rocker -- just the outer.   

If you use the 'search' function, you'll find some excellent threads within this website that illustrate the repair of this area in detail (lots of photos and lots of great pointers).  Members whose build threads come to mind include:  wheee, convertt, grannyknot, eurodat and patcon. 

I was following WHeee, but I didnt see where he had massive sill problems.

I searched last night, didnt see much there, maybe the third bourbon was kicking in.

I just got Charlies floor pans and rails from Canada. But as I started to asses my plan of attack, I started digging on the sills and it would seem silly not to replace those as well.

I check out the other guys threads, thank you!

David.

3 minutes ago, Namerow said:

As Dutchzcarguy mentioned, the 'Body' chapter of the FSM contains sectional drawings for most of the Z's key sheet metal assemblies.  Here's the one for the rocker/floor assembly:

image.png

Perfect, thank you.

Just visited Klassic Fab, they have the sills.

• Like 1