IGNORED

Installing Champion 2 row radiator...does it hold more coolant?

jeremy93ls

I'll be swapping my leaking original radiator out for a shiny new Champion 2 row aluminum radiator (EC634) first thing tomorrow and I realized I don't have a drop of extra coolant around. Does anyone know from experience that this radiator will require more coolant than the stock radiator holds? Its odd I can't seem to find that info anywhere.

Assuming I don't lose a drop of the almost new coolant while draining/refilling, should I 'make a trip to town' tonight to buy a jug so I'll have enough to finish the job tomorrow? 

If you don't need an excessive amount, you could top it up with distilled water. It won't change the freezing point significantly or compromise the anti corrosion aspects. If you need a quart or more, it's probably easier to just get a jug of prediluted

Just as a followup for future search results, I ended up needing a few quarts more than what the original radiator held.

The two-piece shroud took a little work to fit right, but installation was straightforward.

On 6/5/2020 at 9:19 PM, jeremy93ls said:

swapping my leaking original radiator out for a shiny new Champion 2 row aluminum radiator

Yeah SHINY NEW and... to me.. worthless!!.. a good radiator is made from copper NOT aluminum.. All that cheap $^!# from china (i hope yours isn't one) ..  I would get me a new core and repair the old one..  (my 240z car has still the original copper core in it.. and is well over 25 years old, you don't see them in aluminum that old i think?)  Fill it with proper coolant otherwise it will leak soon again.  (soon is in a few years.. ? )