IGNORED

Driver's door deadlocks 240z, -73

Bettan_85

Hi! The driver's side door on my 240z -73 suddenly deadlocks every time I close it. I've tried to investigate the mechanism, but can't locate the problem. I have to pull the inner lock upwards to be able to open it. The passenger door is fine (two steps turn on the mechanism, then release by the handle.

Anyone with a clue? 

And btw, I do not have the working keys right now (will arrive this weekend) so I have to open the rear and pull up the pin each time...

All help appreciated. 

Thanks! 

In these days of YouTube videos, could you get someone to record a YouTube video of you working the lock and post a link here? For myself, I'm a visual person, so it would help me (and perhaps others) understand your problem better.

My guess would be the small spring that helps keep the lock "arm" in it's proper place. It's an extremely simple mechanism that's very poorly documented in the FSM. Someone might have a pic they could upload, but if you compare the lock and latch mechanism of door that works to the one that doesn't you'll have your answer...

1 hour ago, cgsheen1 said:

My guess would be the small spring that helps keep the lock "arm" in it's proper place. It's an extremely simple mechanism that's very poorly documented in the FSM. Someone might have a pic they could upload, but if you compare the lock and latch mechanism of door that works to the one that doesn't you'll have your answer...

Your description sounds familiar. Yes, there is a spring that will wear out and make it where the door locks as soon as it is shut. I replaced the spring in a driver's side door lock many years ago to stop that problem.