73str86

1/71 #18720 a.k.a. Sakura

Ok, the suspense is killing me.  What kind of power did you get?   It sounds really good.

2 hours ago, Marty Rogan said:

Ok, the suspense is killing me.  What kind of power did you get?   It sounds really good.

The dyno chart is on the previous page. 129 rwhp / 140 rwtq at 6000 ft elevation.

After I pulled the L24 I removed the good working AC components and sold them locally for $100.

20200508_200123.jpg

20200506_154433.jpg

I will keep this matching numbers L24 with 4 screw SUs until (if) I sell the car. Engine stand inspired by the directions on Datsun Spirit's website.

20200508_203305.jpg

Next up was filling the rivet holes made by the PO around the wheel wells. There were 27 holes total. I sanded the areas to bare metal with an 80 grit flap wheel. A local mobile welder filled the holes with his tig welder and sanded them smooth. All in all I am happy about my decision to save the wheel wells. I painted the wheel lips with 3 coats of grey primer and 2 coats of Rustoleum satin black. Some paint around the welded areas blistered, but I'm not too worried about that because the car is going to a paint shop this summer for an original color 901 silver respray.

20200522_170939.jpg

20200521_182641.jpg

20200521_181609.jpg

20200522_205234.jpg

The flap wheels exposed the history of the car: the rear quarters were all original, no bondo, just the original paint and black respray. Neither front fender was original...they had red and teal paint under the black. Both had bondo but no rust was found. I think the PO (sadly) added bondo to the wheel lips to help the cheap flares fit better.

Your lucky the metal wheel lips were still there under those flares, usually it's all been cut away.  Yes, the exhaust note was beautiful on the dyno.

13 hours ago, grannyknot said:

Your lucky the metal wheel lips were still there under those flares, usually it's all been cut away.  Yes, the exhaust note was beautiful on the dyno.

I agree. At the time of purchase I wasn't too concerned with the rivet holes. Hopefully the body shop can finish my core work successfully.

A 1-1/8 inch hole saw is a perfect fit to ream out the front control arm bushings. All bushings will be replaced with polyurethane with the exception of the tension control rod bushings. Those will be a combination of rubber and the G-Machine kit from MSA.

20200526_123424.jpg

I have owned 3 240z cars previously.  All had the later style 4 speed.  I am putting together an early car with the series 1 transmission.  I hear they feel sloppy compared to the later version.  Is that your opinion?  Do you plan to keep the series 1 transmission?

6 hours ago, 87mj said:

I have owned 3 240z cars previously.  All had the later style 4 speed.  I am putting together an early car with the series 1 transmission.  I hear they feel sloppy compared to the later version.  Is that your opinion?  Do you plan to keep the series 1 transmission?

I have had 2 cars with the series 1 transmissions.  You can replace the rubber shifter bushing with an aluminum or delrin bushing and it takes the slop right out of it.

On 6/1/2020 at 6:41 AM, 87mj said:

I am replacing the early 4 speed with a 280z 5 speed. The original early 4 speed was definitely sloppier than any Z car manual transmission I've ever driven. I'd highly recommend the bushing upgrade mentioned above, although I've never seen them for sale anywhere.

2 hours ago, 73str86 said:

I am replacing the early 4 speed with a 280z 5 speed. The original early 4 speed was definitely sloppier than any Z car manual transmission I've ever driven. I'd highly recommend the bushing upgrade mentioned above, although I've never seen them for sale anywhere.

I believe I found them on Ebay, but that was many years ago.

Sorry, but I had to look it up. I'm assuming you meant the first definition and not the last ?:

Sakura (桜 (kanji), 櫻 (old kanji), さくら (hiragana), サクラ (katakana)) is the Japanese term for ornamental cherry blossom trees and their blossoms.

Sakura may also refer to:

• Sakura, raw horse meat, usually prepared as sashimi called basashi
  • Haha 1

Damn, I haven't worked on my Z since June! 

I managed to finish sandblasting the crossmember a couple days ago. I need to hurry up and paint it with Master Coat. Starting a new job at the Subaru factory next week so my time will be limited, but looking forward to a work routine and making time for the 240z. 

121106513_3486808478043463_7923005698062324624_o.jpg

Edited by 73str86
photo
  • Like 1

On 6/9/2020 at 9:13 AM, Jeff Berk said:

Sorry, but I had to look it up. I'm assuming you meant the first definition and not the last ?:

Sakura (桜 (kanji), 櫻 (old kanji), さくら (hiragana), サクラ (katakana)) is the Japanese term for ornamental cherry blossom trees and their blossoms.

Sakura may also refer to:

• Sakura, raw horse meat, usually prepared as sashimi called basashi

Yes, cherry blossom is what I was going for lol.