240z automatic / shifting issues - Page 2 - Open Discussions - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

240z automatic / shifting issues

Featured Replies

  • Author
7 hours ago, djwarner said:

A bad or disconnected vacuum modulator will disrupt proper shifting. Remember a vacuum line has two ends as well as the hollow tube. I would first verify the vacuum hose, then replace the modulator before tearing into the AT again.

There is no internal electronics in the AT. The only wiring is a switch for the starter enable and for the backup lights.

When I detach vacuum line from modulator then I cannot shift even to the third gear and when I attach it it shifts to third gear and skips the second one !  it leads me to the conclusion that it works !  Or could I be wrong ?

Downshift solenoid is working as it clicks when I connect it to battery but its role seems to be just to shift to lower gear when pressing full throttle !

Edited by Darko

Did you try the solutions offered in the document?

image.png

  • Author

I tried to check everything I can while the transmission is on the car !

That's great that you tried but which ones did you do and what did you find?  I see these as the ones to do, based on what you said is happening.

image.png

  • Author

Manual control valve is ok , checked 

Governor valve -  I only checked downshift solenoid and vacuum modulator and they are ok although solenoid has has nothing to do with it . I cannot check anything inside the gearbox as it is now installed on the vehicle. Do you know how to check governor valve ?

New oil is in the system , and sufficient amount , there is no leakage 

Transmission air check - I only checked vacuum that goes from engine and it is ok 

Band brake is inside gearbox and cannot check 

 

If you have any suggestion what I can do while the gearbox is assembled and on the car let me know !

 

 

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.