IGNORED

Car wont start

zdude1967

This is the second part of "timing chain set up incorrectly' posted Nov 30th. I tried to adjust the oil pump spindle as suggested by folks on this site. It would not after several hours adjust as suggested. I referred to how to rebuild you datsun engine by Tom Monroe and adjusted it as the book suggested this was different then what was suggested. It now turns over but will not start. Could this be related to the oil pump spindle position

This is where it was set-dist tab location.JPG

This is what was suggested-image.png 

This is where is was set per the book by tom monroe  thumbnail?appId=YMailNorrinLaunch

I put the dizzy in the middle position- I assume that takes care of ignition timing. If it does not let me know. Have confirmed spark using a timing light - it flashed on all wires so it should have spark. I replaced a radiator and front cover seal, and oil pump. I think the oil pump would be the only thing that could effect starting. What are your thoughts on the oil pump shaft direction that I used per the rebuild book

Edited by zdude1967

17 minutes ago, zdude1967 said:

I put the dizzy in the middle position- I assume that takes care of ignition timing.

Have confirmed spark using a timing light - it flashed on all wires so it should have spark.

I think the oil pump would be the only thing that could effect starting. What are your thoughts on the oil pump shaft direction that I used per the rebuild book

I don't want to give you a hard time.  But you are pretty far off on the basics of how an engine works.  You seem to have the right tools, you're just not using them correctly.

Use your timing light and point it at the marks on the damper pulley with it connected to plug wire #1.  That is how you set ignition timing.  The oil pump and the distributor tang position don't tel you what the timing is.  You have to measure it with the light.

Get on to youtube and watch a few videos on how to set ignition timing.  It will help.

Edited by Zed Head

Yes- I do understand however it does not start. I appreciate your help. At this point I set it in the middle of the dizzy adjustment and then once it started I would time it. I think it times at 12 degrees BTDC. I could be off on that but I would check before doing it. How do you time it after you bring it to TDC to replace the oil pump prior to starting it. I assumed you put the dizzy in the middle of advance and retard, start it and adjust the dizzy (timing from there) . Is that not how it works or do you hook up the timing light as you mentioned and shoot it at the damper and timing tab as you crank it and adjust the dizzy ?