1973 240Z refresh - Open Discussions - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

1973 240Z refresh

Featured Replies

I’m opening this thread to document the process of refreshing my 1973 240Z. I have owned the car since 1980 and built 2 engines myself, in addition to running the original for quite a few years. This time, I decided to go with a Rebello stroker. Here is the car, and the motor that will find its home up front.

the engine is an N42 block, with an E31 head. The head saved me quite a bit of my Rebello budget as it was ported and polished by B.C. Gerolomy in the 1980’s. Dave just freshened it and put an appropriate cam grind in it for me.

One of my inspirations has been Duffy Mahoney’s build. We differ in that he used ITB’s and I will use a factory non-webbed, non-EGR intake with a larger throttle body. I have had bad luck tuning ITB’s. When about 8” of throttle body butterflys open, the vacuum goes flat. Duffy probably has more skill in that regard, but if I were you, I’d rather have me putting you to sleep for surgery. For tuning, I bow to him. 

7E42ECED-6F05-4409-A127-74D959517D18.jpeg

819D580F-A820-47D0-AFBD-52C783A5A27D.jpeg

7A2918C8-35E9-4DA3-9804-3BAF0BBFD2C2.jpeg

D3C6D93D-9317-4EE5-A601-26D97270A324.jpeg

  • Author

I painted the exterior in my garage a few years back, but the new engine begs a fresh coat of paint in the engine compartment. For that, I bought a new toy from Eastwood. 
Here, I found the only rust on the car. Owning it, since 1980 has allowed me to control many of the factors that cause the common rust spots. My battery tray support was surface rusted. The first pic is the before, the second after 5 minutes with the new SCT from Eastwood. There will be lots of hand sanding and Dremel work, but this thing is fast!

AABB3943-4E1E-4FE0-BD9A-DB3B7DFAF658.jpeg

FA981086-89C8-4956-A9CC-79149C33C18B.jpeg

173D1578-0F11-4AAE-9D5E-1A844D70451A.jpeg

  • Author

Like Duffy, I will be using Haltech EFI. Mine will be the Elite 2500 while I think, his is Elite 1500? Like Duffy, I’ll be using both cam and crank sensors so I can do both sequential injection and crank fire. I’m aware that there isn’t much to gain, but I’d bet it’s better for the environment, and us car guys need to start thinking about that too. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.