IGNORED

Parts Availability?

ToolBoy

Hello All,  If all goes according to plan, I'll be trucking a Jan, 71 Series one car home from  out of state next week that's been garaged for most of last 20 years. I drove a 72 when  was in my 20's and have regretted selling it since. My question is about the availability of parts?  Thanks. . . 

Welcome to the group. It has been my experience that finding parts is not necessarily hard as there are many available from after market suppliers. If you are planning a restoration to originality there some that hard to find but not impossible. You can find a few truly OEM parts at places like Ebay and other auction sites including Japan. Used parts are readily available from multiple sources. This site will be helpful in researching correct and quality parts. 

We will all be looking forward to seeing and hearing more about your car. 

41 minutes ago, ToolBoy said:

Hello All,  If all goes according to plan, I'll be trucking a Jan, 71 Series one car home from  out of state next week that's been garaged for most of last 20 years. I drove a 72 when  was in my 20's and have regretted selling it since. My question is about the availability of parts?  Thanks. . . 

Parts for your new purchase shouldn't be a problem - except maybe the cost depending on your level of replacement.  There are enough sources of new, reproduction, and used parts that you could probably build a '71 from scratch if you had the time and bank account.

Any particular parts you're looking for at this time or just anticipating need?

Dennis

Thanks for the response! I'm more interested in the car as a driver as my only vehicle for last 35 years has been 79 fj40. That being said one of the biggest thrills I had from my 72 240 in early 80's was after thorough tune up and valve adjust I would get 32 mpg on the freeway and so much fun to drive.  Is a finish carpenter I don't have deep pockets but over time want to stay relatively close to stock. Thanks again!! 

If you can avoid body or rust repair I think you will find owning and enjoy your  car is reasonable. Shop time is always an expensive part of repairs. This forum offers repair manual online and many participants here are experts. Learning how to search the forum will help with most questions or just ask. You will probably get multiple responses. Pull up the members map and get to know the members near you and you may find hands on help.

A 79 Fj is a classic

Thanks psdenno, No particular parts now other than what's required to repair any damage or degradation caused by previous owner storing the car for most of the last 25 years without winterizing the engine. I suspect it was started several times during the storage without oil priming the engine. I don't know. He claims the engine was swapped for L26 at 140K miles and now shows 163K but there is no receipt for the new engine. He's asking way too much money for a car I'm unable to start but claims the body is completely rust free, no small or large dings and never crashed.  The few photos he is showing look good, straight with even gaps. After driving 400 miles early monday morning I'm planning on changing oil, soaking the cylinders with either fogging oil or penetrating oil (haven't decided), dousing the cam and rockers with oil and then hand turning the engine to circulate new oil. Then I'm gonna crank it and compression test and see what it says. Would imagine there is a fair amount of rust and corrosion in there.  

Thanks 7tooZ, I'm pretty excited about the interactions I've had so far on this site. Seems like a great resource. Navigation is a little mysterious but I'll catch on for sure. I love my FJ40. Close to turning 400K miles on original engine. Oil pressure is still 60 lbs. and compression test recently showed 137-130-115-130-125-137. She's not dead yet!! 

• Like 2