IGNORED

Differential front oil seal installation question

SoCalJim

I’m replacing the oil seals on a R200 3.90:1 differential that I bought on Craigslist last year.  I have a “tool” for driving in the side oil seals, but not for the front oil seal.  Instead of hunting for what I need to do the job, can I just use the companion flange and a wood block & hammer to safely drive the front oil seal into place?  If my idea is likely to mess the seal up, I’ll hunt for the right thing to do the job.  Thanks for your advice!

Old front seal and companion flange shown in picture below.

5B241512-EF0A-4C48-B064-6592958F033D.jpeg

I have no idea but on a different note. How did you hold the flange to unbolt it? There is a Nissan special tool. Also how do you plan to hold it to torque it back? I was thinking about doing this to the R200 currently on the bench but was hesitant to try to pull off the flange. I thought I might just do the side seals. Do you know what the parts numbers are for the side and front seals?

SoCalJim Tool #280Zdiff - 5’ long piece of scrap plywood with appropriate holes cut into it, along with M8x30mm bolts and lock nuts.  ?

I bought all the seals from  Motorsport Auto.  The front seal is shown below.  I don’t have the side seal p/n handy.

5D57AECC-A83A-4C77-87F0-A02E9280FA7D.jpeg

513DB707-D179-4F9D-9DC4-087BF9F56139.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks Charles!  I was going to fab the tool to be like what’s shown in the FSM, using aluminum stock.  But, I dragged out the piece of plywood to use instead.  Quick and easy!  I also used it to remove the drain & fill plugs.  I just bolted the diff cover to the plywood, stood the plywood upright on its long edge, and used my breaker bar & cheater pipe to loosen the plugs.

Edited by SoCalJim
  • Like 1