IGNORED

F4W71A disassembly, reassembly questions

Oceanzide

I planned to replace synchros this weekend, but found a mangled locking plate behind nut on "output shaft". I'm guessing this plate used to have a tab - the one I found stuck to the magnet on drain-plug.

The locking plate is simply not available.

The nut is a bit loose but mangled plate prevents it from turning. I'm thinking of just putting everything back together, as is,  but wondered: perhaps I can purchase another nut and lock the two together? I also read that someone FOUND this nut "lock-tight"ed.

Any suggestions?

LockingPlate.jpg

Edited by Oceanzide
Typo in title, add/reposition image, generalize the title instead of starting new thread

Thread locker is reasonable.  Blue should work.  You could also cut a few slots in the edges of the washer and create your own locking tab.  i'd do both.

The problem with a second nut, a jam nut, is that it will need to be locked also.  What if it comes loose and works its way off?  You could try to find a big self-locking nut, Nylok-type, as the second nut.  Probably expensive.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Thread locker is reasonable.  Blue should work.  You could also cut a few slots in the edges of the washer and create your own locking tab.  i'd do both.

Thanks, that's a great idea!

BTW, apparently the nut is no longer available either.