remove door card chrome strip - Page 2 - Interior - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

remove door card chrome strip

Featured Replies

I didn't think about that option. I'll have to go out to the garage and take a closer look at that option. Let you know. Thanks.

  • Author

okay, so you asked if anyone tried to remove the strip from the card.  I tried heat, but chickened out quickly because I was concerned about melting the 45+ year old vinyl.  My door cards and vinyl were in very good shape, with the exception of the strip.  I really did not want to take a chance on ruining the vinyl.  I was going to change the color of my vinyl and decided to go with the SEM spray for the vinyl and the Spaz Stix for the strip.  The picture below shows what I was able to achieve.  If you are retaining the current color of your vinyl then the problem is a bit easier as you only have to tape the vinyl tight to the strip.  One word of advice the chrome spray is pretty good but not great.  Your results are improved if the surface is really smooth, so dont sand, there is no paper that is really fine enough, but you do need to remove anything that is loose on the surface of the strip.

I am not trying to discourage you from trying to remove the strip.  I am concerned about getting the area hot enough to separate the strip from the vinyl without melting the vinyl. 

Best of luck.

z_door_card.jpg

3 minutes ago, qz16 said:

okay, so you asked if anyone tried to remove the strip from the card.  I tried heat, but chickened out quickly because I was concerned about melting the 45+ year old vinyl.  My door cards and vinyl were in very good shape, with the exception of the strip.  I really did not want to take a chance on ruining the vinyl.  I was going to change the color of my vinyl and decided to go with the SEM spray for the vinyl and the Spaz Stix for the strip.  The picture below shows what I was able to achieve.  If you are retaining the current color of your vinyl then the problem is a bit easier as you only have to tape the vinyl tight to the strip.  One word of advice the chrome spray is pretty good but not great.  Your results are improved if the surface is really smooth, so dont sand, there is no paper that is really fine enough, but you do need to remove anything that is loose on the surface of the strip.

I am not trying to discourage you from trying to remove the strip.  I am concerned about getting the area hot enough to separate the strip from the vinyl without melting the vinyl. 

Best of luck.

z_door_card.jpg

Thanks for the heads up. I am planning to proceed very cautiously. The interior is perfect except for the strips. I've had the car since new and it was only not garaged for 2 months when first purchased. It has been garaged since then.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.